Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Will Evans - Me and My Crew
Whoa! What a super fun track. Very well done.
08/03/2021 - First pass with no automation. Cool

.mp3    WillEvans_MeAndMyCruzer.mp3 --  (Download: 6.99 MB)

Nice mix NewtonThomas, i like this one the best so far Smile.
(04-08-2021, 05:40 PM)crownoise Wrote: Nice mix NewtonThomas, i like this one the best so far Smile.

Thanks so much for giving this a listen. Smile
really dark mix you got there. There is muddiness going on that I think you could clean up to bring that bright tone closer to a "clear" approach. Sounds very muffled. You should compare your mix to another reference in the same genre to help you get your tones there. keep it up!
(07-08-2021, 05:48 AM)Shul Wrote: really dark mix you got there. There is muddiness going on that I think you could clean up to bring that bright tone closer to a "clear" approach. Sounds very muffled. You should compare your mix to another reference in the same genre to help you get your tones there. keep it up!
Hey ,  Thanks for stopping by and giving this a listen. Doesn't sound that dark or muffled to me. I went and referenced a fairly well known R&B tune that my sister and I cut back around 1978 and it actually sounded as bright or brighter than that one.

NT
Hi

Not sure it's the whole mix is muffled as such... I feel it might just be the low end of the vocal (and possibly the vocal delay) that could perhaps be highpassed a little higher to clean up the low mids. I feel the low end of the vocal might be clouding the kick and bass just a little bit?

There is also a bit of brightness that is bothering me a little somewhere probably in the 4-8k region - it's in the vocal I suspect. I think there is maybe a touch of resonance there that can be cut a db or 2 around 6k or so? What do you think?

Quite a live sounding mix otherwise!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
For me there is lowend that music needs thats in this one. That shows you got real skills and know what to keep and what to give the music what it needs, enough said! If i let my music out i wouldnt want it sounding like "a mix" , it sounds way to noobish and like its forced if you cut alot of things just because you think its shouldn't be there, that makes it feels shy and tinny and very weak. This mix has some fundamentals so thats good and its a harder mix keeping bass when you go to master, that is why many new mix people try aiming for a "modern" sound because they cant bring the db's up when you got that sort of lowend pegging the master, but its actually not much harder then bringing some highmids and highs up again.
(07-08-2021, 05:48 AM)Shul Wrote: really dark mix you got there. There is muddiness going on that I think you could clean up to bring that bright tone closer to a "clear" approach. Sounds very muffled. You should compare your mix to another reference in the same genre to help you get your tones there. keep it up!
Atleast it doesn't sound like a can Smile You need bass and the right highend with it to make it feel ballsy and not like a honky lid or a tinny can being slapped.