Discussion Zone
We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Pop, Singer-Songwriter (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Ben Carrigan: 'We'll Talk About It All Tonight' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=257)
+---- Thread: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H (/showthread.php?tid=5292)

Pages: 1 2 3

We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - Olli H - 04-07-2014

Here's my try with pop song. I didn't have any special idea before I started mixing this. I just mixed and listened where the track directed me.

I always do my first mix without listening anything else. But while finishing this mix I listened modern Eric Clapton, old Kenny Rogers, and ultra modern Michael Bublé. Not so much as a reference but more like an ear cleaner.

I didn't use that midi file.

EDIT: New version added: 2014-07-16

RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - pauli - 04-07-2014

Overall, probably the best version of this song so far. Very good overall balance and the drums sound nice... those were frustrating in this song.

Couple things I noticed... be careful about the EQ cuts on the piano when the mix goes a bit naked, because it sounds a little unnatural, so some automation is a good idea. There's a delay or verb on the vocal that's overemphasizing the "S" sounds, and I've found you can get away with really savage de-essing on sends that you'd never dream of trying on the main vocal. And as I mentioned on my post... there's no making those horns sound good Smile can't fault you for trying, but I think they're hurting an otherwise nice mix.

I struggled for references on this one, but now that you mention it, I think Buble is pretty much the perfect match. Good thinking there Big Grin!

RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - Olli H - 04-07-2014

Thanks for good comments.

Vocals: In the very last phase I added some new effects to vocals, which probaly caused that ess-problem. I must check that. (I have a tendency to overexperiment with new tricks.)

Piano: it may sound funny, but I haven't heard too often real piano, so I have some problems with eqing it. When I was a kid (= listened a lot of music) I thought that the piano was the most boring instrument. Of piano players I only accepted Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. And when played their records I listened mainly their singing. Thank God I'm little bit older nowadaysSmile So in this case I went maybe too much towards "what frequencies I wanted to hear", and not "how piano should sound". I'll certainly fix that.

Horns: I'll probably leave them, but maybe I try to make them muddier and distant. I don't have any horn samples. Maybe some day.

I haven't heard about that Michael Bublé before, but as I didn't know this genre at all, I took the list of grammy nominees and found his name from there. Smile His "After All" had quite similar drum so I listened it.

RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - HbGuitar - 05-07-2014

Great sounding mix....very clear and smooth....great balance too. Love the fade out...very sophisticated...sounds like a record (LOL).

Have to disagree with Pauli....I love the horns...and I'm very much in the loud horns camp...good on ya

RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - sano - 06-07-2014

Great job with the drums it seems most people struggled with these on this mix. Horns sound great also and I like the fade out at the end.
Great mix !

RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - juanjose1967 - 06-07-2014

what a great mix, Olli! I couldn't help paying close attention to the part where all the horns start because they're ruining my mix so far and I needed a reference to "clean up" my ears.

I think you also did a great job with the backvocals Smile

RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - takka360 - 07-07-2014

Nice sounding mix,really nice balance also,is the harmonica a tad loud then goes to low towards end?
Vox sound lush.It all sounds great mate.

RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - Olli H - 16-07-2014

A new version added to the first post. Mainly small adjustments here and there.

RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - Voelund - 20-07-2014

Great job balancing and eq ing all those tracks without muting anything ? I had to mute a lot to make sense of it in my head but your mix show I didnt have to. For one the har oni a in outro sounded so wrong on one note I had to mute it. In your mix it makes perfect sense

Love the drumsound, very well cleanup of the tracks.
Congrats !

RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - Voelund - 20-07-2014

Forgot: the vocal effect whatever it is sounds great. Fast delay modulated ?
In soft part before outro, before drums, the one with only piano and voicd I took away most effect on vocal and dropped lvl few dBs. To my ears vocal is too moud just thrre