Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H
Here's my try with pop song. I didn't have any special idea before I started mixing this. I just mixed and listened where the track directed me.

I always do my first mix without listening anything else. But while finishing this mix I listened modern Eric Clapton, old Kenny Rogers, and ultra modern Michael Bublé. Not so much as a reference but more like an ear cleaner.

I didn't use that midi file.

EDIT: New version added: 2014-07-16

.mp3    2014-07-04-carrigan-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

.mp3    2014-07-16-carrigan.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

Overall, probably the best version of this song so far. Very good overall balance and the drums sound nice... those were frustrating in this song.

Couple things I noticed... be careful about the EQ cuts on the piano when the mix goes a bit naked, because it sounds a little unnatural, so some automation is a good idea. There's a delay or verb on the vocal that's overemphasizing the "S" sounds, and I've found you can get away with really savage de-essing on sends that you'd never dream of trying on the main vocal. And as I mentioned on my post... there's no making those horns sound good Smile can't fault you for trying, but I think they're hurting an otherwise nice mix.

I struggled for references on this one, but now that you mention it, I think Buble is pretty much the perfect match. Good thinking there Big Grin!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thanks for good comments.

Vocals: In the very last phase I added some new effects to vocals, which probaly caused that ess-problem. I must check that. (I have a tendency to overexperiment with new tricks.)

Piano: it may sound funny, but I haven't heard too often real piano, so I have some problems with eqing it. When I was a kid (= listened a lot of music) I thought that the piano was the most boring instrument. Of piano players I only accepted Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. And when played their records I listened mainly their singing. Thank God I'm little bit older nowadaysSmile So in this case I went maybe too much towards "what frequencies I wanted to hear", and not "how piano should sound". I'll certainly fix that.

Horns: I'll probably leave them, but maybe I try to make them muddier and distant. I don't have any horn samples. Maybe some day.

I haven't heard about that Michael Bublé before, but as I didn't know this genre at all, I took the list of grammy nominees and found his name from there. Smile His "After All" had quite similar drum so I listened it.
Great sounding mix....very clear and smooth....great balance too. Love the fade out...very sophisticated...sounds like a record (LOL).

Have to disagree with Pauli....I love the horns...and I'm very much in the loud horns camp...good on ya
Great job with the drums it seems most people struggled with these on this mix. Horns sound great also and I like the fade out at the end.
Great mix !
what a great mix, Olli! I couldn't help paying close attention to the part where all the horns start because they're ruining my mix so far and I needed a reference to "clean up" my ears.

I think you also did a great job with the backvocals Smile
mixing since April 2013
Nice sounding mix,really nice balance also,is the harmonica a tad loud then goes to low towards end?
Vox sound lush.It all sounds great mate.
A new version added to the first post. Mainly small adjustments here and there.
Great job balancing and eq ing all those tracks without muting anything ? I had to mute a lot to make sense of it in my head but your mix show I didnt have to. For one the har oni a in outro sounded so wrong on one note I had to mute it. In your mix it makes perfect sense

Love the drumsound, very well cleanup of the tracks.
Congrats !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Forgot: the vocal effect whatever it is sounds great. Fast delay modulated ?
In soft part before outro, before drums, the one with only piano and voicd I took away most effect on vocal and dropped lvl few dBs. To my ears vocal is too moud just thrre
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order