Discussion Zone
Children of No One - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Bill Chudziak: 'Children Of No-one' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=185)
+---- Thread: Children of No One (/showthread.php?tid=4435)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Children of No One - pauli - 22-04-2014

Hey man, thanks for the suggestions. I was actually considering putting the vocals through a parallel compression setup, do your point there is well taken.

As for side chaining distortion to the kick... Do you mean applying distortion in parallel? That's a very good idea I've never tried on drums before... I mainly use it on box and lead synths, but before I try it I just wanted to be sure I understood what you meant

RE: Children of No One - chudziak - 22-04-2014

Overall, I really like this. Keys are much more upfront and you reigned in those guitars. Great stuff. Smile

RE: Children of No One - pauli - 22-04-2014

(22-04-2014, 05:30 PM)chudziak Wrote: Overall, I really like this. Keys are much more upfront and you reigned in those guitars. Great stuff. Smile

Thanks Bill! It's always appreciated when we get feedback from the artist.

I'm a guitarist myself and really enjoyed your playing on this song... fantastic guitar work and very well recorded. Thanks for sharing Big Grin

RE: Children of No One - hanibal005 - 22-05-2014

So far this mix is better than the other handful or so I've listened to of this song. Including my own. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the panning of the 2 organs in the chorus. Vocals I think were the weakest link in the chain but not because they were bad. They just sounded compromised. Great job.

RE: Children of No One - pauli - 22-05-2014

hey man, thanks for kind words. the vocals were the biggest struggle on this mix as I was going for a blend of classic vibe and modern listening expectations... which is an apples to oranges comparison if you don't get it just right. How do you feel they were compromised? I still have the project file for this one.

RE: Children of No One - hanibal005 - 23-05-2014

The vocals feel like they are confined to a limited space. Largely in eq. I dont think they are too quiet but competing for space in the chest and high air frequencies. Also im listening on ear buds btw.

RE: Children of No One - pauli - 23-05-2014

Yeah, sometimes I take too much low end out of the vocals for today's sound. But if you're listening in earbuds, that wouldn't be as noticeable, so it could be a stereo problem, too. Maybe too dry.

RE: Children of No One - Audiomuze - 24-06-2015

Hi Pauli, nice work with your mix. I'm just having a good listen. Okay, I'm hearing those cymbals jumping out. It's not such an issue when the track is turned down, but when you turn it up to get a full sound they do jump out. I'm wondering if a few things are sounding a little thin. Someone's already mentioned the lead vocals, and they do sound a little constrained. I'd like to say 'thin', but that would just imply an EQ issue, and you're aware of that already. I wonder if the effects you've got on the vocals are also contributing to it. It's not bad, and it may be a taste thing? Also, to my ears the ElecGtr1 in the intro is a little thin. But again, might just be taste.

It's interesting that Bill commented on how you've 'reigned in those guitars'. To me (a keyboard player) it's a guitar-orientated song, and I'd be happy with you pushing the guitars a little more in the choruses.

Also, you've done a job with balancing the drums, but I have to say that I don't particularly like the way the snare has come out. It's probably just a taste thing again (it's definitely not 'wrong'!!) and probably suits the song and the era, and the more I listen to it, the more I'm getting used to it.

Hope you don't mind those comments, I'm no expert, just adding my 2 bobs' worth Smile

Cheers.

RE: Children of No One - pauli - 24-06-2015

Hey Audiomuze, thanks for your comments. Of course I don't mind... it's great practice for critical listening.

I mixed this one a long while back and I don't really remember what I did exactly. One thing I can tell you is that at the time I was really abusing the high pass filters in those days due to poor monitoring and misunderstanding their proper use, so it would follow that the mix would sound a bit thin. I don't think I really understood phase alignment very well at the time either, which probably explains the odd snare timbre you've flagged up.