Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children of No One
Just EQ, compression, and some send effects, and my "patented" Pauli vocal sound.

I tried actually mastering this song... there's light stereo widening, light tape saturation, and a very very light limiter to keep a handful of transients reined in.

Any comments or criticisms are always appreciated Big Grin

.mp3    ChildrenMaster.mp3 --  (Download: 7.09 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Hi pauli
I' m thinking of downloading the multi tracks and having a try hopefully can do as good job.
I like the intro sounds great , the toms sound great, the cymbals sounds a touch loud ,the drum kit sounds wide ,the ride at 2.38 jumps out upfront, listening on headphones the bottom end of the kick sounding really deep Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

thanks don!

I think you'll find this one comes together pretty easily... it's very well recorded. Something tells me your mix will make me blush and give this one another shot Tongue

The overheads though, that was the sticking point for me. The cymbals in general are always a turd... let me know what you figure out! I'm still figuring out how to mix lives drums Blush
I think you've getting better and better, Pauli! I always tend to finish up with loud overheads, so I always give myself a day break to judge the mix properly and decide whether it's finished or not.

I like this song a lot, so it's been a pleasure to hear it again mixed by you Smile good job!
mixing since April 2013
You are getting better,here is a little trick, run pink noise on a track at 0 bring each track up one by one till you just hear it in the pink noise
then you will be amazed how level your mix is.you can also do the same at the end with the whole mix and you will hear anything that is too loud poke out.
TRY IT.
I got to try that!!!!! thanks, Alan!!!!
mixing since April 2013
Thanks everyone for kind words and suggestions. I think in this song it's easy to overdo it on the wideness of the kit as well as on the overheads because there are two room tracks that are reeeeally heavy on cymbals, and I'm never really sure what to do with those... I know a cool trick where you compress the room track to the extreme and fade it into the kit... that's how they got those awesome drums on "when the levee breaks" but that didn't work too well in this scenario. Maybe I should just mute them altogether? That dodges the objectivity issue altogether LOL.

Allen, thanks a bunch for that tip. It's brilliant and I'd never have thought of that... I have a tendency to overcompress on the master but I imagine that technique really reduces the risk of that since the levels will fall into place a lot better
(09-04-2014, 08:38 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi pauli
I' m thinking of downloading the multi tracks and having a try hopefully can do as good job.
I like the intro sounds great , the toms sound great, the cymbals sounds a touch loud ,the drum kit sounds wide ,the ride at 2.38 jumps out upfront, listening on headphones the bottom end of the kick sounding really deep Big Grin.

Do you mean the bottom end is too deep or it's working for you? I intentionally added the bottom end because I didn't feel like it was enough at the time, but my best low end monitoring is a pair of sennheiser phones... they go down to 20 Hz but the levels on anything under 100 aren't too reliable obviously Tongue so a little shove in the right direction?
The bottom end sounds fine to me,the kick could maybe be a bit harder to cut a tad more.
(09-04-2014, 01:38 AM)pauli Wrote: Just EQ, compression, and some send effects, and my "patented" Pauli vocal sound.

I tried actually mastering this song... there's light stereo widening, light tape saturation, and a very very light limiter to keep a handful of transients reined in.

Any comments or criticisms are always appreciated Big Grin

Hi Pauli, I'm new to the site and I'm trying to learn how to better mix rock songs so I'm listening to everyones tracks. I think your mix is good, it has a solid vintage quality to it.

Here are a couple of things you can try.

Kick - Try side chaining a little distortion to the hi end of the kick, That will help it punch through the mix a bit more.

Vox- Seem a bit low and sometimes would dip behind the guitars. Try grouping all the vox to one bus and add one more transparent (when bypassed no volume difference on the channel) compressor to that signal.

That's my two cents. please stop by and listen to the mix I submitted and please please please leave a comment so I can get better to! Thank you!!