Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Audio-Technica Demo: 'Loud And Clear'
Once again though, it's important to remember that the mastering engineer's duty isn't to make the mix louder... in the case of singles mixes, it's about polishing and getting it ready for the radio, which most times includes enhancing the loudness. Mastering engineers also commonly automate volume, increasing the overall mix dynamics. As the EBU recommendations become standard, and they already are here in the US... there's a local radio station where I live that chooses to pay fines rather than comply with the rules, excessively loud masters will suffer by being turned down to maintain the average loudness of the broadcast.

But when we start talking about the real duty of a mastering engineer, mastering a record (am I old fashioned?), it gets more complicated. Then you're talking about maintaining a relatively consistent level across 10 ten songs with long term dynamics across the entire work. And you've got to figure out how to pull that off while maintaining a unified overall tonality and without compromising the vision of the mix engineer, who hopefully was working closely enough with the artist so as to represent her vision at its best.

It makes me dizzy... but it's part of why loudness doesn't worry me. Won't be long before it doesn't make a difference. There's much talk about CD players and internet radio being held to the -14LUFS recommendation that's receiving strong support, at least here. The fact that a dance tune with a loudness range of 8 decibels tore up the charts around the entire world last year is evidence that it's not important.

But some people like hot mixes, too. That's not a big deal either... if the CD player turns them down, well that's why they come with volume knobs.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Audio-Technica Demo: 'Loud And Clear' - by pauli - 27-10-2014, 02:38 PM