Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NeverEbbButFlow_AndyGallasMix
Nice job (final mix). Well balanced,. One remark, that drums, snare especially sounds very heavy on verses.
Hi Andy i like final mix great vibe the only thing i would say is that the snare needs automated in verse.
Reaper user
Your mix is fighting the same battle most fight with this song; where and when do the vocals take precedent over the guitars and vice-versa. I like the energy and clarity of your ensemble but the battle between your chorus vocals and the guitars seems yet to be resolved. It is a very tough get.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(19-12-2019, 06:35 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Your mix is fighting the same battle most fight with this song; where and when do the vocals take precedent over the guitars and vice-versa. I like the energy and clarity of your ensemble but the battle between your chorus vocals and the guitars seems yet to be resolved. It is a very tough get.

Thanks for listening! I think there is no need to run in circles here. Remember when Brian May said to Freddy Mercury that he thinks the guitars might be to loud against the vocals and Freddy answered that he'd like to fight with the guitars... (sorry, don't remember on which song it was)
There are a ton of production where the vocals fight with the guitars in the chorus... also check out Foo Fighters e.g.

The important thing is that you transport the energy of the production.

But good to point out from you, cheers!
(19-12-2019, 08:59 PM)AndyGallas Wrote:
(19-12-2019, 06:35 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Your mix is fighting the same battle most fight with this song; where and when do the vocals take precedent over the guitars and vice-versa. I like the energy and clarity of your ensemble but the battle between your chorus vocals and the guitars seems yet to be resolved. It is a very tough get.

Thanks for listening! I think there is no need to run in circles here. Remember when Brian May said to Freddy Mercury that he thinks the guitars might be to loud against the vocals and Freddy answered that he'd like to fight with the guitars... (sorry, don't remember on which song it was)
There are a ton of production where the vocals fight with the guitars in the chorus... also check out Foo Fighters e.g.

The important thing is that you transport the energy of the production.

But good to point out from you, cheers!

The only thing that wins in that scenario is the snare drums and he is a very happy boy. I really dig the way you handled the explosion at the end of the intro.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(19-12-2019, 09:12 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I really dig the way you handled the explosion at the end of the intro.

Thanks!
(15-12-2019, 09:24 PM)konop_tnt Wrote: Nice job (final mix). Well balanced,. One remark, that drums, snare especially sounds very heavy on verses.

(18-12-2019, 04:57 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Andy i like final mix great vibe the only thing i would say is that the snare needs automated in verse.

Your words in gold! I did a second final version (LOL) where I tried to tame the snare in the verse a bit and pushed the snare bite slightly more in the chorus plus some other minor acoustic tweaks. I can't tame the snare any further in the verse though. It just doesn't feel right to me then. Thanks for pointing that out.
Final Mix 2 = BETTER. The snare is better balanced through the verse now (which sounds great BTW). Your energy in this is excellent but at times I feel like I am getting overwhelmed by the guitars by a db or two. I like your dynamic moves with them but at places I think it pushes too hard, like the snare used to in the verse. Mostly minor because you are really close to perfect on this.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I dunno, I just listened through the first chorus of the two different final mixes, but I feel like the Final feels a little more organic. The kick and snare are maybe too loud? At least in the choruses. They seem to slow the song down and make it feel 'stiff'? 'Plodding'?

I need a break. I'll try to listen again a little later and see how I feel.

EDIT: I think it's because he switches to the Ride cymbal to keep time in the chorus and I'm missing that 'swing' in-between the quarter notes. It works in the verse because the hi-hat stands out better and ties the tempo tother between the kick and snare.
Between the two final mixes I prefer FinalMix2, especially for the impact of the chorus parts. For all your versions all the parts have both clarity and impact, and there's also a good shape and feel to the mix overall. It's a great mix. Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!