Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Dye Yung
01-08-2019, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2019 01:49 AM by Quathamer.)
Digital Only Logic Proz Dye Yung
Alrighty, so I'm a little happier with this mix, but this was a toughie to clean up and stuff.

Here are my mixed STEMs (AIF Format) and below is a description of my methods.
Lord give us this day our daily STEMS

General Goal: I wanted to replicate the overly saturated thickness of the studio version (check spotify) but add the dynamics and rawness of the live session from Telefunken.

Kick - Standard gate comp and eq, externally sidechain compressing bass, gtrs and tracks.
Snare - Short gate, comp, eq, and very short room verb to bring back a bit of the body and width, externally sidechain compressing vocals.
Toms - standard gate and eq
Drums (hats, ride, bottom snare, OHs) - muted room channels, EQ and smashed a comp over group.
BassLo - Standard gate, low pass, comp.
BassHi - Standard gate, High pass, drive, comp, panned hard left.
Gtr - Drive, eq, comp, drive, panned hard right.
Tracks - parallel comp for presence.
Vox - Standard gate, eq, comp, and a little drive.
FX - Slap, long plate for bass hi and gtr, short plate for vox, delay for vox.

Master - Various Saturation and Eqs to enhance energy and presence, and a limiter. No Compression.

.mp3   The Great Enough_Die YoungM1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.94 MB)

~
New Mixes
Outta Control | Long Way Home | Roar
~
Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2019, 11:21 PM
RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Dye Yung
Another great mix in my opinion. I like the guitar saturation/drive, and thought the toms were great. Neat trick with the panning of the bass. I did check out the studio version and I think you've managed to nail what you were going for.
26-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Thanks Mike!

Yeah I wasn't very happy with the mix to be honest, and would probably approach this differently if I was to revisit it. I'm not really stoked on how the bass and kick sits together, but I agree this is one of those arrangements where the bass and guitar panning really works.

Yeah the studio verson has a lot more low end and warmth, so I would definitely like to see more of that if I was to revisit again as well.

~
New Mixes
~
27-08-2019, 02:12 AM
Good integration of the dynamics of the track into your mix. What did you do with the bass. Am I hearing it panned to the left like another guitar part? Good ending too. Good power throughout. Nicely done.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

27-08-2019, 03:29 AM
(27-08-2019 02:12 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  Good integration of the dynamics of the track into your mix. What did you do with the bass. Am I hearing it panned to the left like another guitar part? Good ending too. Good power throughout. Nicely done.

Hello mate,

Yeah this was a tricky one, and I'm not entirely happy with the final, but I am happy how the bass turned out. I'll explain it to you, but you can also download my group stems for this mix via the link in my first post.

Bass:
What I did was split the bass channel into 2 tracks. First track I LPF around 80hz and treated it as the bass backbone, and then the second track I HPF quite high and eq and compressed it as a second guitar, so that way the second bass track (Left) and the guitar (right) are at a good enough balance to pan hard left and right.

Hope that makes sense.

~
New Mixes
~
27-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Feels pretty good. Not much to complain about. I have some minor, personal preferences but nothing worth noting. I like the louder, clearer Tracks....track. Those bits of ear candy help the song.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
-
A mix doesn't have to be good, it just hast to sound good.
27-08-2019, 02:23 PM
(27-08-2019 03:29 AM)Quathamer Wrote:  
(27-08-2019 02:12 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  Good integration of the dynamics of the track into your mix. What did you do with the bass. Am I hearing it panned to the left like another guitar part? Good ending too. Good power throughout. Nicely done.

Hello mate,

Yeah this was a tricky one, and I'm not entirely happy with the final, but I am happy how the bass turned out. I'll explain it to you, but you can also download my group stems for this mix via the link in my first post.

Bass:
What I did was split the bass channel into 2 tracks. First track I LPF around 80hz and treated it as the bass backbone, and then the second track I HPF quite high and eq and compressed it as a second guitar, so that way the second bass track (Left) and the guitar (right) are at a good enough balance to pan hard left and right.

Hope that makes sense.

The bass treatment makes perfect sense. It was what I was hearing but did not want to make any assumptions. It is a pretty cool solution.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: