Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fruition: Santa Fe mix by Drummer Craig
Hi all. Here is my crack at Santa Fe. Feedback is welcome, both good and bad. I would like to know how it translates to your system/phones.

Thanks for listening.

Update: Just added Revision 1 with some suggested changes. I reworked the kick and bass, reigned in some instrument spots that were a little loose and massaged the vocal a bit more. Let me know your thoughts if you are willing.

.mp3    Fruition - Santa Fe.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

.mp3    Fruition - Santa Fe - Rev1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.11 MB)

Hey there,

I like the separation of the mix. Organ sounds lovely and wide and drums sound great. Nicely done.
~
Other Mixes
Sounds good. The organ might be too up front but it might be more that I'm not used to that. It does sound good though. I'm losing the bass. I think it could be a little louder and more defined. The vocal could be louder. It's getting a little lost. Drums sound good to me.
(01-04-2019, 04:17 AM)Quathamer Wrote: Hey there,

I like the separation of the mix. Organ sounds lovely and wide and drums sound great. Nicely done.

Thank you for taking the time and providing valuable feedback.
(01-04-2019, 01:19 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds good. The organ might be too up front but it might be more that I'm not used to that. It does sound good though. I'm losing the bass. I think it could be a little louder and more defined. The vocal could be louder. It's getting a little lost. Drums sound good to me.

Thank you for taking the time and providing valuable feedback.
Your balances are good for the most part. While your hammnd seems to be outside of this envelope, it is not bad even though its presence is different from the ensemble. The embedding of your mix in the environment casts a bit of a pall or haze across the entire mix losing presence across the board. I am guessing your are a live audio tech by the sound of this.

Don't get me wrong; the mix is good I am just put off by the distancing of the mix by your environment.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(04-04-2019, 04:13 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Your balances are good for the most part. While your hammnd seems to be outside of this envelope, it is not bad even though its presence is different from the ensemble. The embedding of your mix in the environment casts a bit of a pall or haze across the entire mix losing presence across the board. I am guessing your are a live audio tech by the sound of this.

Don't get me wrong; the mix is good I am just put off by the distancing of the mix by your environment.

You are correct about being a live audio tech (periodically). New to this, I have found it quite challenging (thinking mixing live would translate easily to ITB) but they are certainly different. I agree with the hammond as well, that it doesn't "sit" in the mix. For live mixing I find I want instruments at times to "stand out"...which is a struggle for me here. I really appreciate the feedback. Do you have advice on the "haze"? Am I am "placing" my instruments too deeply into my perceived concert space (via reverb/delay choices) thus losing definition and clarity?

You've got me thinking...until your comment, I believe I would have wanted or made all my mixes to sound like they were/are in a "live" environment...and that would be wrong. Thanks again.
(04-04-2019, 04:53 PM)Drummer Craig Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 04:13 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Your balances are good for the most part. While your hammnd seems to be outside of this envelope, it is not bad even though its presence is different from the ensemble. The embedding of your mix in the environment casts a bit of a pall or haze across the entire mix losing presence across the board. I am guessing your are a live audio tech by the sound of this.

You are correct about being a live audio tech (periodically). New to this, I have found it quite challenging (thinking mixing live would translate easily to ITB) but they are certainly different. I agree with the hammond as well, that it doesn't "sit" in the mix. For live mixing I find I want instruments at times to "stand out"...which is a struggle for me here. I really appreciate the feedback. Do you have advice on the "haze"? Am I am "placing" my instruments too deeply into my perceived concert space (via reverb/delay choices) thus losing definition and clarity?

You've got me thinking...until your comment, I believe I would have wanted or made all my mixes to sound like they were/are in a "live" environment...and that would be wrong. Thanks again.

You have a bit of a conundrum in that this is a "live performance" in a studio. There have been steps taken for isolation beyond what might be happeining in a true live performance in a live performance venue, plus there is not crowd nor PA into the space. so, with that in mind you can go for a 'live' feel or a quasi-studio feel and bring to bear all that that means. there is no right nor wrong, just what approach are you taking and what is your interpretation of what the song and performance is giving you.

As for presence in your environment just a balance more towards the dry vs. wet.

A potential big difference between live and studio is the ability to automate very precisely so you can get parts/phrase/notes to stand out as needed.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]