Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sante Fe - LT Mix
(04-04-2019, 04:11 AM)Drummer Craig Wrote: May I ask what you did to get that delicious sounding bass guitar?

On the channel I pushed a generous amount of 1.2KHz and 2KHz with moderate bell curves, dropped several dB at 200Hz (with a fairly wide bell), and bumped up a couple dB with a shelf at 60Hz. Compressed (LA-3A style) at 3:1 (slow attack, fast release) to get a max reduction of about 6dB. On the bass bus, I applied a dynamic EQ to reduce some resonant frequencies and tacked an Opto limiter (fast attack, moderate release, soft knee) at the end of the chain to do another (max) 3 dB of reduction. The bass is also going to the "Rear Bus" (the technique made famous by Andrew Scheps), where everything but the drums are sent to a compressor, and feathered into the mix as a parallel process.
(04-04-2019, 05:28 PM)LooneyTunez Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 04:11 AM)Drummer Craig Wrote: May I ask what you did to get that delicious sounding bass guitar?

On the channel I pushed a generous amount of 1.2KHz and 2KHz with moderate bell curves, dropped several dB at 200Hz (with a fairly wide bell), and bumped up a couple dB with a shelf at 60Hz. Compressed (LA-3A style) at 3:1 (slow attack, fast release) to get a max reduction of about 6dB. On the bass bus, I applied a dynamic EQ to reduce some resonant frequencies and tacked an Opto limiter (fast attack, moderate release, soft knee) at the end of the chain to do another (max) 3 dB of reduction. The bass is also going to the "Rear Bus" (the technique made famous by Andrew Scheps), where everything but the drums are sent to a compressor, and feathered into the mix as a parallel process.

I have a lot to learn. Confused
Thank you kindly for providing so much detail.
There's a lot of info and videos about Scheps' "Rear Bus" parallel compression. In a nutshell, the old Neve 8068 console had an optional stereo bus fitted for mixing in Quad (early surround sound). On the desk it's labeled "Rear" because it's the bus for the rear tracks/speakers. In a stereo mix that bus can then be utilized as a parallel mix bus. Scheps will send tracks to that bus and compress it. Usually with a pair of 1176s with all the buttons engaged and blends that in with the regular mix bus.

Hope that helps/makes sense/inspires...
(04-04-2019, 06:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: There's a lot of info and videos about Scheps' "Rear Bus" parallel compression. In a nutshell, the old Neve 8068 console had an optional stereo bus fitted for mixing in Quad (early surround sound). On the desk it's labeled "Rear" because it's the bus for the rear tracks/speakers. In a stereo mix that bus can then be utilized as a parallel mix bus. Scheps will send tracks to that bus and compress it. Usually with a pair of 1176s with all the buttons engaged and blends that in with the regular mix bus.

Hope that helps/makes sense/inspires...

Great info. Thank you Roy.