Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sante Fe - LT Mix
Just downloaded this yesterday, and gave it a few hours of mixing for my first attempt. See what you think.

.mp3    SanteFe-LTmix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

You bass guitar treatment is unusual and good but maybe a bit too discreet. Lots of heavy bottom too which gets a bit 'floopy' at times. Balances is pretty good otherwise. A good listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I completely agree about the bottom end...Out of control. It's an issue that's been plaguing me ever since I moved from a house to an apartment, where I now have to mix in headphones (much less than ideal, I know). With that said, I reworked a bunch of things for version two.

.mp3    SanteFe-LTmixV2.mp3 --  (Download: 8 MB)

V2 is better. I'm a little put off by the clockiness of the kick and how it works with the improved bass guitar. One of the toughest parts of mixing the vocals on this is how she ends her phrases ('bronze', 'gates', etc.). The esses on the ends of those phrases get lost which translates to loss of intimacy on the vocals. If you can engineer the phrases to be completed better, then you've gone a long way to expressing her voice better. Your environment is spot on and works very well for the ensemble although it may be a bit heavy on the guitars.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(27-03-2019, 04:15 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: V2 is better. I'm a little put off by the clockiness of the kick and how it works with the improved bass guitar. One of the toughest parts of mixing the vocals on this is how she ends her phrases ('bronze', 'gates', etc.). The esses on the ends of those phrases get lost which translates to loss of intimacy on the vocals. If you can engineer the phrases to be completed better, then you've gone a long way to expressing her voice better. Your environment is spot on and works very well for the ensemble although it may be a bit heavy on the guitars.

Thanks again for listening and giving your thoughts. Version 3 is already in the works, and I'll try to address what you mentioned.

I just watched the recording session video, just to get some grounding for myself. No doubt Telefunken makes some great mics, and I've done a few mixes from their catalog, but I always seem to have problems with the vocals when they use the handheld dynamic mics (the M80 in this case). Maybe it's a combination of the supercardioid design and singers sometimes going slightly off-mic, so it creates proximity issues and the tails of phrases to get lost at times. I may have to dig deeper to get the vocal to sit better. I'm already hitting it with some dynamic EQ (and compression, of course), but I'll re-think my approach.

Stay tuned! Smile
(28-03-2019, 01:01 AM)LooneyTunez Wrote:
(27-03-2019, 04:15 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: V2 is better. I'm a little put off by the clockiness of the kick and how it works with the improved bass guitar. One of the toughest parts of mixing the vocals on this is how she ends her phrases ('bronze', 'gates', etc.). The esses on the ends of those phrases get lost which translates to loss of intimacy on the vocals. If you can engineer the phrases to be completed better, then you've gone a long way to expressing her voice better. Your environment is spot on and works very well for the ensemble although it may be a bit heavy on the guitars.

Thanks again for listening and giving your thoughts. Version 3 is already in the works, and I'll try to address what you mentioned.

I just watched the recording session video, just to get some grounding for myself. No doubt Telefunken makes some great mics, and I've done a few mixes from their catalog, but I always seem to have problems with the vocals when they use the handheld dynamic mics (the M80 in this case). Maybe it's a combination of the supercardioid design and singers sometimes going slightly off-mic, so it creates proximity issues and the tails of phrases to get lost at times. I may have to dig deeper to get the vocal to sit better. I'm already hitting it with some dynamic EQ (and compression, of course), but I'll re-think my approach.

Stay tuned! Smile

You are right on with your assessment of movement around a super cardiod. However, we as engineers have solutions for that kind of behavior.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(29-03-2019, 06:06 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: You are right on with your assessment of movement around a super cardiod. However, we as engineers have solutions for that kind of behavior.

Head clamps.
Here's V3...see if it addresses some of the issues mentioned, and makes for a better mix over-all. Smile

.mp3    SantaFe-LTmixV3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

Very nice.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
May I ask what you did to get that delicious sounding bass guitar?