Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judders Santa Fe
(06-03-2019, 02:31 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: As for vocal dynamics, why is everyone scared of that? It is our job to capture the performance not necessarily to correct it from our own perspective. Just a thought.

I can understand this. There are a couple of reasons to 'correct it':
This:
(06-03-2019, 02:35 PM)Judders Wrote: I did try and retain a lot of the vocal dynamics, my concern with it is that lines lose their impact and lyrics get lost. In general, starting a line strong and then getting softer works a lot better than the other way around, purely in terms of catching the listener's attention and getting the lyrics heard.
And to create excitement to highlight the vocal and lyrics. The other reason is in this case I don't believe she was moving to create dynamics as much as not being consistent on the mic and the microphone itself.

I'll fully admit I tend to overdo it on vocals most of the time.
(06-03-2019, 02:35 PM)Judders Wrote: From the sounds of it, the vocalist is also playing an instrument and coming up closer to the mic to sing, but doing that at the start of vocal lines instead of just before. That would be my guess.

...I guessed right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pc2zTVRF-4