Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judders Santa Fe
Good arrangement, great players, well recorded... makes our job easy. Big Grin

I could do with sorting out the begging of the solo, because the second guitar coming in louder kind of takes away the impact of the beginning of that section, but this is all the time I've got to spend on it for now. Definitely one of my quickest mixes.

.mp3    Santa_Fe_Judders.mp3 --  (Download: 8.06 MB)

Couple of things jump out at me. The overall effects kind of take away from the intimacy of the song. The reverb kinda pushes the band back and disconnects the listener (or at least, me) from them. I feel like I'm more a room away as opposed to bing in the same room I think there might be some delay that I'm hearing that does that too but I might just be imagining things. Someone mentioned (it might have even been you) mentioned how she's inconstant on the mic. I hadn't really noticed it when I mixed the track but I notice it here. Lastly I think the bass could anchor the song some more. It might just be what he played but I wish it grounded the song a bit more. I know that's kind of a pretentious statement.
Other than that it feels fine. Nothing tonally jumps out at me. Hope that helps.
hi! sounds good. agreed with roy about it being perhaps a bit too much reverby. reminds me of doing a sound check in empty venue. still, in that context it sounds very convincing. great work. ^_^
Thanks for the comments guys! Smile

I like your description of the reverb, Kapu. Big Grin

Roy: I think you didn't notice the vocal inconsistency because you smashed the vocal so hard. :p
Could you perhaps give a more technical description of what you feel is wrong with the bass? Would you say your mix is a good example of making it more grounded and acting as an anchor for me to reference?

Point taken about the reverb; it didn't sound too much until I listened to other mixes, and I think it jumped out a bit more after reducing bit depth for bouncing down. Most of the mixing was done at extremely quiet levels, so that probably made me push it more than I would have if mixing at my normal levels. Though partly this is taste, because I found Roy's vocals too bone dry, which for me disconnected the vocals from the rest off the band,
the instrumental part (solos) cath you, i love it.
After de instrumental part, there only the voice and a guitar, in my opinion, the guitar right is too loud for this part, follow with the same level of the song. The guitar "break" the close moment with the singer and for this the second guitar don't impact with the effect.

Excuse me my english and the expressions.
(06-03-2019, 12:19 PM)Dlxgc Wrote: the instrumental part (solos) cath you, i love it.
After de instrumental part, there only the voice and a guitar, in my opinion, the guitar right is too loud for this part, follow with the same level of the song. The guitar "break" the close moment with the singer and for this the second guitar don't impact with the effect.

Excuse me my english and the expressions.

Your English is fine! Smile

Yeah, I'd already brought that guitar down quite a lot from where it was, but probably I should bring it down more and maybe centre it for that section.
I do tend to flatten vocals, I'll admit. Some of it is taste and some of it is testing some mix techniques. To be fair, I do have reverb on the vocal in my mix. Either a plate or a short 'diffuse hall' (which might be thinner than is ideal). It's probably more subtle than it should be. Partially that's do to taste and partially to do with the leakage. Lot's of time I'll create vocal space with delays as well as verb and in this case the leakage might have been getting into the delay and creating some extra clutter. So I dumped it. I could have probably dealt with that with automation but I was lazy.

I couldn't say if the bass in my mix was more "grounded". I'd have to check it out. It's probably too loud in my mix. It may have been a comment that applies to the actual part as opposed to how you had it in the mix and I just happened to notice it at the time. Since I'm on earbuds I can't comment so much on bass tonality as much I could on arrangement or how it's played. Listening again I think the bass just feels a bit small compared to the rest of the band. I'm terrible with technical descriptions. But again, I could be wrong maybe someone else could comment on what they notice.
An interesting take. I do think the reverb could be taken back a touch. Give the depth without hearing the artifacts as much. That's a fine line for sure. The sounds and mix are good, although the organ gets strident in places.

As for vocal dynamics, why is everyone scared of that? It is our job to capture the performance not necessarily to correct it from our own perspective. Just a thought.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(06-03-2019, 02:31 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: An interesting take. I do think the reverb could be taken back a touch. Give the depth without hearing the artifacts as much. That's a fine line for sure. The sounds and mix are good, although the organ gets strident in places.

As for vocal dynamics, why is everyone scared of that? It is our job to capture the performance not necessarily to correct it from our own perspective. Just a thought.

I did try and retain a lot of the vocal dynamics, my concern with it is that lines lose their impact and lyrics get lost. In general, starting a line strong and then getting softer works a lot better than the other way around, purely in terms of catching the listener's attention and getting the lyrics heard.

From the sounds of it, the vocalist is also playing an instrument and coming up closer to the mic to sing, but doing that at the start of vocal lines instead of just before. That would be my guess.
(06-03-2019, 02:35 PM)Judders Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 02:31 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: An interesting take. I do think the reverb could be taken back a touch. Give the depth without hearing the artifacts as much. That's a fine line for sure. The sounds and mix are good, although the organ gets strident in places.

I did try and retain a lot of the vocal dynamics, my concern with it is that lines lose their impact and lyrics get lost. In general, starting a line strong and then getting softer works a lot better than the other way around, purely in terms of catching the listener's attention and getting the lyrics heard.

From the sounds of it, the vocalist is also playing an instrument and coming up closer to the mic to sing, but doing that at the start of vocal lines instead of just before. That would be my guess.

I often work from the perspective that we already have the listeners attention which then allows you to give the artist more freedom of expression. Engineering always trying to keep the listener tweaked seems to be getting in the way of the artist at times than enhancing their performance. Being able to hear the artist move in and away from the mic is not always a bad thing. It is after all, an artistic expression if you feel the artist is doing this purposefully.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]