Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
64 Bristol - EKN Mix
I haven't been around since a long long time. I wanted to mix this song, and what a shock when I found 40 electric guitar tracks ! So I went the minimalist route, trying not to spend too much time on this mix.

Apart from pan and volume balance, most of the tracks were only processed on their bus with simple EQ/comp (bass, guitars, keys and fx, vocals, drums) except for :
- Kick, snare & toms (EQ/comp/parallel comp)
- OH & room (EQ)
- electric guitar tracks 31 & 33 have been phase inverted

As for effects :
- a room reverb for the snare and toms
- a plate reverb for the vocals

Let me know how it sounds to your ears.

Happy listening,
Erick

.mp3    64 Bristol - EKN Mix 01.mp3 --  (Download: 10.58 MB)

yeah, went down the same route, processing on the busses. your mix sounds great, strong bass and drums!
Loupi, thanks for the listening and taking the time to comment !
Hello

Mix sounding pretty good considering the amount of tracks and nitpicks some of them had.

*Snare has a resonating freq. in the low end. it's quite overwhelming after a while.
*Sounds like you based your mix off the drums rather than the guitars. It's an interesting take and therefore I like the punch of it. Did you use samples to support the original drums?
*Overall I would have liked less drums.. Your mix made me pay a lot of attention to the drums rather than anything else. It's good, I just focused on the drums too much because they are very prominent.. especially the snare.
*Kick gets masked by the snare.

With these many tracks.. I'm sure everyone mixes will sound different. Not necessarily bad, just different.
It's a good mix.
Hi Shul, and thank you for your comments !

- Yes, I somehow missed that resonating freq in the snare. Fixed that in v2
- Didn't really base my mix on the drums, but started with them and I kinda like drums quite punchy ;o) And no, I didn't use any sample.
- I made subtle changes to snare vs kick volume, and overall drums volume

.mp3    64 Bristol - EKN Mix 02.mp3 --  (Download: 10.58 MB)

Snare sounds great Smile

And good job on the drums if you didn't use samples.. They sound really good.
Pleasant mix to listen to, i think you captured the admosphere wanted by the creator.
Really nice work EKN. Super clear, really vibey, and just a pleasure to listen to. Keep up the good work!

Draper
Awesome! This is almost exactly the sound I've been trying to accomplish, but can't seem to get the upper mids on the guitars to behave. I'll be referencing this Smile
Thank you all for listening and commenting !