Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Grahams Mandubien's mix
Hey there !

It's been a while I have not posted. I was busy mixing the upcoming album of my band. We probably will share some tracks here so stay tuned Wink

Anyway, here's my mix for this short song.
Pretty challenging ! I replaced the kick and snare, used the DI track of the bass with a bass amp simulator of Logic.

I did not use all guitar tracks.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Best !

.m4a    Nova One Studio - Four Graham.m4a --  (Download: 6.3 MB)

hi bro, nice work on the vocals, i like your snare tail too even tho its kinda burried in the mix but its work nicely .. cool mix bro
Thanks Smile

I used EZ Drummer 2 for my samples : Yamaha for the kick and Ludwig LM402 for the snare.

It's an entire headphone mix (AKG K240 with Reference 3 and Redline Monitor for accuracy).
Hello Mandubien

I'm downloading this track right now so I don't know what the challenge is.. but here is my observation

*Balance is decent. I would just like more drums here. Specifically a bit more definition on them. Kick gets lost big time and snare is not as bright as I would like.
*Tones on the guitars are on point. I like them. Maybe a bit less lows but that's a taste thing. I like how they sound in your mix.
*Bass is hard to identify. I would boost some key freq. to define it a bit more.

Again I have not mixed this but this sounds nice. keep it up.
(11-04-2016, 11:00 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Thanks Smile

I used EZ Drummer 2 for my samples : Yamaha for the kick and Ludwig LM402 for the snare.

It's an entire headphone mix (AKG K240 with Reference 3 and Redline Monitor for accuracy).

did you replace the whole thing or you mix it up with the original source too ?
(12-04-2016, 02:05 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello Mandubien

I'm downloading this track right now so I don't know what the challenge is.. but here is my observation

*Balance is decent. I would just like more drums here. Specifically a bit more definition on them. Kick gets lost big time and snare is not as bright as I would like.
*Tones on the guitars are on point. I like them. Maybe a bit less lows but that's a taste thing. I like how they sound in your mix.
*Bass is hard to identify. I would boost some key freq. to define it a bit more.

Again I have not mixed this but this sounds nice. keep it up.

Thank you for your feedback.

I always struggle a lot with my low ends ! It's always hard to make the bass fit in its right place. Maybe cleaning a bit the guitars as you suggest would give some space for the bass.

(12-04-2016, 04:37 AM)2youL Wrote: did you replace the whole thing or you mix it up with the original source too ?

Yep, I did not use the original tracks at all.
On cheap portable mono speaker it sound just fineSmile I will check that later, but before that - why the mix is so quiet? You don't need to squeeze it to death, but just raise the gain and take care of some peaks.
(12-04-2016, 11:58 AM)konop_tnt Wrote: On cheap portable mono speaker it sound just fineSmile I will check that later, but before that - why the mix is so quiet? You don't need to squeeze it to death, but just raise the gain and take care of some peaks.

Ah ah, it's because I'm totally against the loudness war which today is totally damn stupid. The new rules for mastering is -13 LUFS and it will be -15 LUFS at the end of this year. Since 90% of people listen to music on streaming platforms, it really does not make any sense to over compress and make music loud. Every song which is louder than -13 LUFS will be compressed to match the right level, so it will be even more compressed.

We have to learn to listen at normal volumes now. If my mix is not loud enough, well just turn up the volume knob Wink On a CD, every burner has an option to make the volume identical between the songs, and the reference is not the loudest, but the quietest Wink
I listen with headphones. Drums could be more punchy, acoustic guitars on the left is to loud for my taste. Regarding loudness. Peaks on your mix are at least few db lower than 0dbFS, so you waste some resolution and S/N ratio. If you take care of peaks you will gain another few db and IMHO it has nothing to do with loudness war. I'm talking about gentle peak reduction.
Where I can find those new rules for mastering?
after a short research : http://www.audiohotshot.nl/ebu-r128-on-i...d-youtube/

you can fin a lot of good articles about the loudness rules