Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
The Dice Mixed by Dcp
This is a completely new mix of The Dice based on some of the critiques of Don and Shul and my observations when listening to the mix on other systems.

The whole bass signal is run through an emulation of an SVT 3 and the guitars have a doubler blended in to give a thicker and more powerful sound.

As with last time I made 1 loud master and 1 more conservative master.

.mp3    The Dice Remix 1 K12.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

.mp3    The Dice Remix 1 K14.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Definitely sounds better now. I like it.. The fullness of the guitar is on point for me. Toms aren't poking out like they were.

Sounds good on headphones. Good job.

*there is a digital error creating a clipping pop at 5:50. Its usually related to automation.. Or perhaps you cut a track and didn't fade out properly.

(12-04-2016, 01:35 AM)Shul Wrote: Definitely sounds better now. I like it.. The fullness of the guitar is on point for me. Toms aren't poking out like they were.

Sounds good on headphones. Good job.

*there is a digital error creating a clipping pop at 5:50. Its usually related to automation.. Or perhaps you cut a track and didn't fade out properly.

Thanks Shul, just went back to my mix project and it doesn't appear at all, as soon as I render it out is when that clip appears which is really weird. Anyway thanks for the comment, I'm currently looking for the culprit of that damn clip and will update the file soon.

P.S: Both variants of the mixes were done on a set of AKG K240 Mkii headphones if you were wondering
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
The remixed version without clips

.mp3    The Dice Remix 1 K12.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

.mp3    The Dice Remix 1 K14.mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)

Hey DCP,
Wow excellent mix, sounds much more balanced and drums glued together.
I have heard a lot of good mixes done on AKG Headphones including yours.
Being really critical and technical,I'm hearing some subtle ringing resonances around 130 and 200hz area masking the punch of the bass and kick a touch, not sure where could be coming from ,could be the bass or a combination instruments clashing in the same area ,can also hear it on my mix which I have to fix too.
Can hear it clearly Listening on Hd 600's and monitors ,but don't really notice it on my other cans which are quite scooped on that area,only when notched out those frequencies could hear the bottom end sound cleaner.
Probably also personal taste.
Well Done Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(12-04-2016, 10:15 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey DCP,
Wow excellent mix, sounds much more balanced and drums glued together.
I have heard a lot of good mixes done on AKG Headphones including yours.
Being really critical and technical,I'm hearing some subtle ringing resonances around 130 and 200hz area masking the punch of the bass and kick a touch, not sure where could be coming from ,could be the bass or a combination instruments clashing in the same area ,can also hear it on my mix which I have to fix too.
Can hear it clearly Listening on Hd 600's and monitors ,but don't really notice it on my other cans which are quite scooped on that area,only when notched out those frequencies could hear the bottom end sound cleaner.
Probably also personal taste.
Well Done Big Grin !

Thanks again Don, didn't really notice the resonance in the mix although when I "mastered" (not really going to call just some minor eq balancing and slapping a limiter on my mix mastering ;P) I did use an low shelf eq to bump up 100 Hz which probably enhanced that.

I played around with taming those low end resonances that Don was talking about by using a dynamic EQ on the bass, it really seemed to make the lows more focused and clear up the crap in the bass. Otherwise these mixes are the same.

.mp3    The Dice Remix 2 K12.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

.mp3    The Dice Remix 2 K14.mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

Hey Dcp,
A subtle change but makes a difference as the bass does sound cleaner especially noticeable at 1.29 when just the bass ,guitar and drums are playing.
If you decide to have another shot later down the track like I am ,I think that area is a good place to refine the eq balance between the bass kick and electric a touch more or maybe not.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounds like a great mix. If I had to point out anything I would say to kill some transient on the snare just a small bit. Maybe increase the attack on the compressor on that track. Also the guitars seem a little overprocessed to my ears. I'm not sure if you have a flange or effect on them, but they almost seem a little out of phase at times.
(20-04-2016, 01:17 PM)MulkeyMixingMastering Wrote: Sounds like a great mix. If I had to point out anything I would say to kill some transient on the snare just a small bit. Maybe increase the attack on the compressor on that track. Also the guitars seem a little overprocessed to my ears. I'm not sure if you have a flange or effect on them, but they almost seem a little out of phase at times.

Thanks for the critique. The guitars have a phaser on them during certain moments of the track and I did use a doubler on the guitars to give them a thicker sound. Otherwise there's an eq just taking out at most 2-3 dB of 780 Hz and 2.5 kHz and an L1 limiter to keep the guitars even. The tones pretty much are the way they were provided. The snare is already pretty squashed between being run through an la3a emulation, some soft clipping, and being driven through a neve emulation for some punch. Probably personal preference but I may make another remix of this track.