Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new mix
(31-03-2016, 10:08 AM)Sono Wrote: Draper, it feels like you are "listening" through an analyzer too much.
Sometimes it's best to do what you feel is right. What analyzers say doesn't matter as long as you like it. You just have to trust your guts.

First, welcome to the forum.. with that, please understand this is an educational forum not a competition forum.

Second, this tone flies in the face of the community culture.. we don't do this kind of sharp insulting tone.. Draper is a very good mixer and he offers much value to this forum.

I saw your comment about having the "best" mix of this song I believe in your post, and I will tell you that you don't. There are many good mixers in this forum that are all taking the time to lend their ears to others so we all can benefit from the comradery.

Be respectful.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Read my previous post.
If you have a problem with my tone, just PM me.
Hey Obelix

I believe your mix is not that bad. If I were to download your mix and tweak some freq. I could make it sound cleaner.
I agree the bass has some very deep low end energy. If you listen to my mix, the low end energy is there. I quite like how deep the bass sounds but in your mix I sense a muddy feel to it.
I would dare say the overall problem of it is in the 100-500hz area. There is too much of those frequencies in guitars, bass, even vocals to a point. All together they produce this muddiness in it. Note: you might not cut everywhere in that area.. perhaps all you need is a boost elsewere to make the instruments a bit sharper.

I would suggest you recheck those freq. overall in the mix.. perhaps you could solve some of them in mastering with an eq. Start by the bass track.

But Honestly, this does not sound "horrible". Just somewhat muddy.

P.S. Like Sono pointed out "he might not have been in the mood" and his comment caused some whirlwind in the ocean Lol but it's all good as long as we improve no matter how nice or how harsh a comment might sound. Smile

keep it up.
I think that the problem is in the way they recorded the bass. They gave 3 tracks: DI, bass pedal and amp. I think that amp has the problematic low end you all were talking about. Some distortion may help to get the bass more to the front, while cutting lows on gtrs and vox would help me to get rid of the mud.
I have my mix saved. I will do the recall and process the gtrs differently. Vox sounds nice with some meat but it would sound more expensive if it had more air to it. Maybe I can add some upper harmonics using distortion or saturation.
(06-04-2016, 10:13 AM)Obelix Wrote: I think that the problem is in the way they recorded the bass. They gave 3 tracks: DI, bass pedal and amp. I think that amp has the problematic low end you all were talking about. Some distortion may help to get the bass more to the front, while cutting lows on gtrs and vox would help me to get rid of the mud.

Yeah I believe I used the DI because the mic one was too muddy
Version 2. No amp track on bass, and a little bit more aggresive main vocal.

.mp3    untitled67e5.mp3 --  (Download: 13.86 MB)