Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gonna have a GOOD TIME
somewhat difficult mix but here it is

Thoughts?

V2 Fuller bottom with a bit more of a sparkle feel overall.

.mp3    GoodTime-Louis Cressy.mp3 --  (Download: 11.22 MB)

.mp3    GoodTime-Louis Cressy2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.22 MB)

Hey Shul - I was wondering what aspects of the mix you found particularly challenging? You seem to have gotten some pretty nice sounds overall with this mix...

The balance between most of the elements seems pretty good, however, I would say the most noticeable thing to me was that the bass seems quite underdone. Getting the bass level feeling good is the key to gluing this whole mix together IMO. The bass level you have here might be appropriate for a faster rock track, but here it leaves the mix sounding a little bit empty. A song with a slow groove like this can stand some pretty serious levels of bass, because there is space for each note to develop and bloom, whereas those same levels in a faster song would overpower the action of the kick drum and create a blurry and indistinct low end.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(29-03-2016, 06:04 AM)Shul Wrote: somewhat difficult mix but here it is

Thoughts?

Shul,
Every one of your instruments sounds great in this mix and the space you created is spot on. Bringing life to this song can be a bit difficult as it seemingly just plods along. There is the short guitar rhythm accent at the front of the song which could be used more effectively and building the guitars as they are introduced through the song might be handled more dynamically to add some punch. The sparse organ also kind of begs to used with more accent and flavor as well.

Again, your sounds are excellent. You've got them down pat. Now see if you can add some sparkle and punch using those now excellent resources.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(29-03-2016, 08:41 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hey Shul - I was wondering what aspects of the mix you found particularly challenging? You seem to have gotten some pretty nice sounds overall with this mix...

Well first and for most, the Separation of the tracks was the hardest.
Finding out how not only which way was better if left or right, but also how spreading would affect the overall mix was a real challenge. I couldn't get a solid mix at first. Panned several things differently and just didn't work well for me. Having said that the Eq'ing in some instruments would change everything I would tweak the stereo field.

Once I found the separation you hear on the track to be pleasant, the next thing to work on was dynamics. Was also a real challenge. The peaks on drums and guitars.. the volume changes on vocals were a challenge to make smooth without compromising the funky grove the song presents. For example, appart from compression on the vocal track.. I used parallel compression to even out the quiet parts withough sqashing the peaks of the dynamics.
Same thing with the Clean guitar, I used a high ratio on the compressor to squash the peaks of it (yes I did some moderate to heavy compression on this).

Those were the challenges for me.
(29-03-2016, 01:21 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Again, your sounds are excellent. You've got them down pat. Now see if you can add some sparkle and punch using those now excellent resources.

Revision 2 will be posted above.
Tweaked some eq's in guitars just to make it a bit brighter. Changed the Bass tonality to a more fuller sound. As for the sparkle I did that on the mastering process since sparkle is more of a feel than an actual sound imo.

Hope you guys like V2 better.
Oh yeah.. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! New mix is a BIG improvement! Good stuff!

(30-03-2016, 04:31 AM)Shul Wrote: Well first and for most, the Separation of the tracks was the hardest.
Finding out how not only which way was better if left or right, but also how spreading would affect the overall mix was a real challenge. I couldn't get a solid mix at first. Panned several things differently and just didn't work well for me. Having said that the Eq'ing in some instruments would change everything I would tweak the stereo field.

Once I found the separation you hear on the track to be pleasant, the next thing to work on was dynamics. Was also a real challenge. The peaks on drums and guitars.. the volume changes on vocals were a challenge to make smooth without compromising the funky grove the song presents. For example, appart from compression on the vocal track.. I used parallel compression to even out the quiet parts withough sqashing the peaks of the dynamics.
Same thing with the Clean guitar, I used a high ratio on the compressor to squash the peaks of it (yes I did some moderate to heavy compression on this).

Those were the challenges for me.

Cool - It's good to get some insight into your viewpoint. The reason I asked is because it's literally been years since I mixed this track, and I can't remember much about it...

Regarding the panning and separation etc... here's something I've found helpful: Don't restrict yourself to feeling that you have to create a "static" presentation of the soundstage. If you want the guitars or keys to move around to suit a particular section of the, do it! If you need to create a "fake" guitar double to fill out behind the solo, do it! If you feel that a the hammond organ needs to pan quickly from left to right or right to left to highlight a glissando, do it! Don't restrict yourself to any "rules".

Sometimes you need to free yourself from your own (perhaps?) self imposed restrictions. Often times, I find that creating totally different treatments for most elements in the mix for the respective intros, verses, choruses and bridges isn't even out of the question, if it means you can bring an arrangement to life and excite and surprise the listener. Remember, in reality no one listening cares whether it is "believable" or not, they only care about something that excites them.

Here's something else that is important in a song like this, where the arrangement is fairly "static" and relatively sparse. There are a LOT of opportunities to automate fx and really create little surprises and bits of subtle "movement" around the instruments and the vocals. Delay throws, automated reverbs, timed delays, transitional sounds - the more space there is in an arrangement, the more opportunity there is to really get creative with this stuff. I'm not talking about garish, tasteless slathering of fx, I'm talking about using them subtly, yet noticeable enough to unconsciously manipulate the listener's perceptions to feel something about the song.

You've got a great balance and great sounding instrumentation here, but that can be just where the fun starts, if you're willing to go the extra mile and explore those concepts.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(30-03-2016, 10:24 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Oh yeah.. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! New mix is a BIG improvement! Good stuff!

Thanks Humble for the awesome advise and tips!!!
Clearly my imagination is limited after thinking about everything you said.

It's true.. there shouldn't be no limitations as long as it sounds good.
Gonna start experimenting with that kind of stuff.

I agree, it's always good to read what particular things mixers find challenging on songs. It Helps a great deal.

Glad you like the second version thank you Smile