Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The dice
Hello,
Droping my mix. Let me know what do you think? Isnt too bass heavy? And please forget about this weird reverb effect at the begining. Some error while processing i guess ocurred.

Edit. The mix evolved. Please do listen to the last version below on this page. (third)

.mp3    metal1.mp3 --  (Download: 13.83 MB)

Hello Lethan

*I believe the eq you used on the bass is not helping the mix. Did yo put a distortion effect on it?
*Overall it's kind of mids heavy. i would brighten up the guitars just a bit or just cut a few lows on them.
*From my headphones the voice sounds pretty good.
*Your balances are pretty good. I would just work more on the eq to get a better tonality overall.
*The esses are piercing through bad on your back vocals. I would put a desser on them.
*Vocals have good volume at 3:56. That's good

Listening on my KrK headphones.
Hope this helps Smile
Thanks Shul for the input!
Yes, there is a softube saturation nob on the bass. Also wondering if its cool or not hehe? Kind of like it but also not sure if its suits this song.
I will check the low mids one more time and also will put some deeser on voxs.

Shortly,
Drums are not touched. Only some compression on toms and bus compressor on drums just to glue the kit. I also consider to compress them parallely.
As i mentioned bass has saturation and compression.
I did some processing on guitars as it it obvious Smile The 4th pair of gtr has some softube amp, preset called "british cab", very gritty sound.
Also used "fully" some Relight harmonic exciter on guitars. I played with it just to avoid equalization. But lows on guitars are a bit taken off, anyway will check this area again. Its mixed in Reason 8.

No automation yet.
Almost forgot, some mid-side preset on the stereo bus is put, and also another compressor from this ssl mixer Reason have. Just a bit of touch Smile)

Thanks for listening.

Dropping second version. Strangely belive its improved Smile. Rebalanced and and with better focus on low midrange. Well sounds different for sure. Let me know what do you think. Mr Wurst? Cheers. There is still that annoying reverb in the beginning. Cant explain whats going on durring processing. Its not there when played in daw. Also still no automation.
Regards Martin

.mp3    metal1pppp.mp3 --  (Download: 13.91 MB)

Second version sounds a lot cleaner Martin.

I would suggest you hardpan the guitars left and right.. spreading them out will make your mix so much better.

Definitely improved though.
Thanks Shul for listening.
I did as you mentioned. Panned the gtrs hard left and right. Not all of them were hard panned previously. Also tried some stereo enchancers on them. Not sure about the results. "Fixed" bg vocals. I did also put off a bit of harmonics i added, but still the gtrs are, I would say processed a lot. Doesnt sound like those the band keeps in the garage hehe. I think i was hopeing to go for a Deftones sound like as i listen to them a lot lastly. Yeah - i was hopeing Smile. Thanks for listening. Cheers.

.mp3    the dice1a.mp3 --  (Download: 13.91 MB)

Hi Lethan,
I'm just wishing for more overall bottom. The mix is a bit too tight for my taste. Kick, snare and toms are also a little too snappy for me.
Really clear mix and I love the B-Vox effect. Very nice. Really like the phase/flange guitar tracks.
TC
Yup.. now we are talking. It sounds better when you spread things.

Keep it up!
This is actually really good. Maybe the vocals and guitars are a bit sharp ("scratchy").
I wouldn't add more low end. It's defined and clear right now, leave it like that. Smile
Cheers!
Thanks guys for listening and comment!

I coudnt resist and i give it a try one more time. I followed your suggestion and let the bass sound more natural. Also gutairs are a bit left alone. At the beginning i gave them a lot of extra harmonics and i guess it sounded to harsh/bright. I also added some transienst shaper on drum bus and blend it a bit. Let me know how it sounds for you. I completely lost any objectivity. Sounds different, also balance is different.
Regards Martin.

.mp3    metal1.mp3 --  (Download: 13.91 MB)