Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motherload - HB Mix
(08-11-2015, 06:33 AM)WaltsAudio Wrote:
(31-10-2014, 02:34 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Lovely song...beautiful vocals...

Lots and lots of spill between mics, so took a bit of time checking balance so spill and close mics sat nicely. Also took a bit of time balancing room mics with added FX so didn't sound washed out yet had a bit more ambiance and space.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, mix_02 uploaded

Hi HbGuitar,
That was nice getting the vocal up there and natural.
Do you have a compressor on the whole mix (main mix bus)? I think it is reacting to the bass and pumping the mix. You could either use a MBC (multi-band compressor) or filter the trigger of the compressor you're using to avoid this.
I liked emphasizing that upright bass, too. Feel free to check out my mix and see what you think...
WaltsAudio

Hey, Thx for listening. You're probably right about mix bus compression. Its across whole mix and probably is too much. I did some reverb work and re-balancing between ver 1 and 2 but i didn't kill the mix bus comp...I probably have 3-5 db gain reduction rather than the usual 2-3 db, and its probably the bass triggering the compressor.

cheers, simon

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar