Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motherload - HB Mix
Lovely song...beautiful vocals...

Lots and lots of spill between mics, so took a bit of time checking balance so spill and close mics sat nicely. Also took a bit of time balancing room mics with added FX so didn't sound washed out yet had a bit more ambiance and space.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, mix_02 uploaded

.mp3    Motherload_HB Mix_01 _Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.03 MB)

Cool mix HbGuitar! It's spacious and wide.
I find the kick drums a bit boomy, wouldn't be able to tell you what frequency exactly but I think it could be better.
The vocal sounds like it has some extra low-mid as well that you could probably cut, maybe it's the reverb you've used?
Still a great mix. Keep it up!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(31-10-2014, 03:37 PM)ptalbot Wrote: Cool mix HbGuitar! It's spacious and wide.
I find the kick drums a bit boomy, wouldn't be able to tell you what frequency exactly but I think it could be better.
The vocal sounds like it has some extra low-mid as well that you could probably cut, maybe it's the reverb you've used?
Still a great mix. Keep it up!

Hey ptalbot - thanks for the feedback. Glad you like the ambiance. A bit tricky with this one as everything is recorded live and the spill between mics is everywhere!

The extra low-mids on the vocal is intentional - as a warm counterbalance to the relatively bright snare, guitars, banjo and accordion. I did try a slightly higher HP on the vox but to my ears its was all starting to sound a bit brittle.

There isn't a kick in this mix, only snare and upright bass so its probably the bass that you're hearing

cheers
Wow, yes indeed it's the bass. Quite big!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
How are your new monitors ?
Nice mix I like it ,the bass mic is a tricky one picking up the finger plucking transients Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(04-11-2014, 11:10 AM)thedon Wrote: How are your new monitors ?
Nice mix I like it ,the bass mic is a tricky one picking up the finger plucking transients Big Grin.

cheers Don - the whole damn mix was a tricky one with all that spill. Monitors bedding in nicely now.....the bottom end sounds so good it's easy to get carried away
Maybe automating your vocal low mids during the verse might help a touch? I think maybe you could rely on your acoustics a touch more for their warmth? I think the guitars seem a tad too compressed for my ear, unless I'm crazy. It doesn't seem to ping the compressor when I would expect it to. Maybe it's your buss compressor?

I like your tones, I think maybe a touch more mono leveling of your tracks is needed?

I (obviously) am not the final word by any stretch of the imagination, just giving my 2 cents, not being a negative nelly.
Hey loweche6 - thanks for listening and your comments

(21-11-2014, 07:07 PM)loweche6 Wrote: I think maybe you could rely on your acoustics a touch more for their warmth?

This made me laugh..Big Grin...It's the exact same advice I gave JuanJose1967 ...and I think its the better solution

(21-11-2014, 07:07 PM)loweche6 Wrote: I think the guitars seem a tad too compressed for my ear, unless I'm crazy. It doesn't seem to ping the compressor when I would expect it to. Maybe it's your buss compressor?

I think you could be crazy!...Big Grin I do have a compressor running with a HP filter to catch any ungainly transients but the needle is moving very conservatively....and my 2-buss.....well I'm in the less is more camp ...2-3 db max.

That said, i can hear what you mean and I'm pretty sure its down to my reverb strategy - its a bit 2D rather than 3D ....so the mix doesn't sound as open and breathe as it should ....and so the acoustics are a bit flat

Cheers
New version, Mix_02 - a few mods here and there.

.mp3    Motherload_HB Mix_02_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.03 MB)

(31-10-2014, 02:34 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Lovely song...beautiful vocals...

Lots and lots of spill between mics, so took a bit of time checking balance so spill and close mics sat nicely. Also took a bit of time balancing room mics with added FX so didn't sound washed out yet had a bit more ambiance and space.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, mix_02 uploaded

Hi HbGuitar,
That was nice getting the vocal up there and natural.
Do you have a compressor on the whole mix (main mix bus)? I think it is reacting to the bass and pumping the mix. You could either use a MBC (multi-band compressor) or filter the trigger of the compressor you're using to avoid this.
I liked emphasizing that upright bass, too. Feel free to check out my mix and see what you think...
WaltsAudio