Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The Dice Mix
I just recently did a major studio over-haul. New PC, DAW, Plugins, Building and other misc hardware. I needed some live music to test out the new setup. Doing a google search for such brought me to Cambridge Music. After listening to several songs i found your groups to be my best candidate. It gave me a sense of several different genre types i will be encountering in the following months. I really enjoyed the song.

A few stinks i had:
1. Getting the Lead vocals to set well in the mix. Not that the vocalist was bad but perhaps it was the environment, mic or simply mic placement in the room that is making it difficult to find a nice hovering point for the vocals in the mix.
2. The backup vocals..... I understand what was trying to be achieved but they were really really off key/flat. I was able to do some pitch correction/vocal correction and they really didn't turn out bad in my opinion.
3. Drum recording gets an 8.5/10 Smile. overheads sounded great as did the room mics. the snare mic needed a little work pre-capture but it really wasn't bad. Same with kick mic. This may be due to a room issue or mic placement. But all was fine in the end i feel.

Guys again i really enjoyed the song. I hope that in the future you post more of your music on here. I would really love to have the chance to work/practice on some other material for you and for me aswell.

Please let me know your thoughts on what i've done. Im looking forward to your thoughts! Smile

Take Care

Nayt Maines

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice - Final Mix - Nayt Maines 2016.mp3 --  (Download: 13.87 MB)

Hello Nayt

Balance is pretty solid but I would like to make a few observations based on taste. Feel free to ignore Smile

*I feel some mids were carved out a bit too much or perhaps highs were enhanced a bit too much.
*The kick feels at the same level as the vocal if not a bit more. I believe it's too upfront in relation with Guitars and Voice.
*I like the vocals eq. Sounds very good where it is. Also good job on the automation at 3:58 I can hear her pretty clear.
*Like the Back Vox too.. good correlation with main Vox.
*Guitars sound okay at first but as I listen more and more into the song they became weird sounding. Could be overal mids missing overall that caused this sensation to me.

Just my opinion.
All in all this is pretty good.
Hey Nayt,
thanks for your feedback on our recordings! They were recorded in our rehearsal room, so the tracks are not really high-end material to work with and every input is welcome. I (the drummer) did the backup vocals (definitely not a singer) and I'm not happy with them either, but our guitarist, who did the original mix, didn't want to tune them. I should learn to sing, I guess.

Yeeeah, the snare. I tried a new snare head some weeks after the recordings and it turns out that a normal Remo Ambassador gets the best out of that snare. The Evans EQ Control killed all the life out of it. Well, next time you guys will get better material to work with.

To your mix:
I think there's something wrong with the snare. Did you replace it with a sample or something? I think that I can hear some double hits every now and then, either there's a plugin messing with latency or the snare was double-triggered. The Hi-Hat seems a little overdone. It sizzles a lot. On an average sound system with boosted high frequencies it may be too much, you could try to keep it low. I think that I didn't even use it in my own mix.
And watch the overheads. I think they are pumping a little with every snare and kick hit. Check your mastering settings.

The good stuff: The vocals. Wow. Awesome. The toms sound great, too, the balance is good (though the guitars could get a little bit more in front of the mix), the bass fits well. Good job!

Keep it up. Can't wait for your next mixes!
Its not bad, I kind of got distracted by the snare.Smile
The drums sound over compressed