Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justin Myles, Alone With You. final mix
Thanks Raghav330 Smile.
Ok! after listening to it again i did notice my kick drum could be more upfront thanks Raghav 330 so i have done a final mix,all comments are welcomed.

.mp3    JUSTIN FINAL MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 17.18 MB)

Nice mix!
My mix is like more dry.
Like to hear from u guys what u think about mine?!

.mp3    Justin Myles - Alone With You (mix by Tim) MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.86 MB)

Hi timmehhh thanks for sharing your mix,iam listening via headphones and it sounds like you have too much lows on the bass try some high pass on it, other than that it's quite nice, slightly on the dry side I always try to make my mix sound like a record but that's me Smile,looking forward to the next track.
Thanks!
Very nice, Cudjoe. Maybe just a tad too much tail on the snare 'verb. I really like your guitar sounds. And what were you doing with that noise? Sneaky and cool. Maybe a bit more dynamics with the guitars would be beneficial.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(04-04-2016, 12:28 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Very nice, Cudjoe. Maybe just a tad too much tail on the snare 'verb. I really like your guitar sounds. And what were you doing with that noise? Sneaky and cool. Maybe a bit more dynamics with the guitars would be beneficial.

Thank you for your review,
Hi!
You've really got better my friend!
Great mix, got a nice balance between the instruments and a quite nice frequency balance especially in the top end which is nice smooth and quite clear. Also the vocals are superior and they fit really nicely in the rest of the tracks.
Some things that I would fix:
1. I would make some more space for the drums. They are really in the back. The only thing that cuts well is the snare which level is ok so you can match the rest to cut as it.
I would take some extra care when it comes to overheads because the song is rater slow and calm but the chorus definitely needs some more edge to it and I believe that overheads are the thing to go here. Boost them a bit more in the chorus and make them cut a bit more so that the energy and the feel of the song will increase appropriately to the way the lyrics and singers voice change. Also make the hi hat more noticeable in the verse because I can berley hear it. Also avoid the temptation to boost the high end of the drums. The high end is ok by now, only some volume decisions have to be made (probably also automation) and maybe some cutting on the other instruments. Just don't make them cover that beautiful vocals since you've mixed them so good.
2. The kick drum needs some click since it just dies on the Behritone C50 A. The low end is quite fine (consider adding a bit of distortion) but try adding a really bright kick sample and mix with the original one or use the artificial click technique by cutting heavily the low end of the kick, boosting a lot everything above 3 kHz and squashing it with a fast, high ratio compressor, so you can get a nice consistent click that you can mix back into the original one. Just remember to take a linear phase eq since if you do this with minimum phase you'll get a bit of a strange mid range mess in the kick.
3. The guitars could use a bit of consistency and power in the high end. Consider gentle multi band compression or a tiny touch of distortion on their high end just to make them cut consistently though the mix. Also cleaning up their low mid end might be a nice improvement.
4. The bass is buried in the mix. Probably some cutting on the guitars and some gentle saturation on the bass low end would make it be noticeable enough that it will stay in the background but also be noticeable when you try focus on it. Listen how Mike Senior mixed the bass because it sound really nice. I would personally recommend Alloy 2 exciter module or Trash 2 multi band distortion for the job but in the end a nice consistent bass is what the mix needs so be sure to use your best tools Smile
5. Automation - this song is flat as hell by design. Some more dramatics are highly needed in the chorus section so traditional volume automation may be not be enough (but still it hast to be done). Try to automate the overheads panning (a nice Andy Wallace trick) and a tiny mid range widening on the guitars there may give the mix what it needs. Also maybe a bit of a saturation automation, yet just be creative and focus on what the song is about and I bet you'll get it right Smile

Keep on mixing!
Cheers!

P.S.: Also consider not such heavy limiting on the master bus since I can hear clipping from time to time and remember to leave a 1 dB headroom when you render to mp3 because it also causes clipping.
Love for music in the world devoid of feelings.
https://www.youtube.com/user/exotrio
Hi mixingafterhours thank you for your detailed information, some thought!! do you listen to mixes through your studio set up or real life set up? also do any one check there panning law in the daw?it makes a huge difference, I think some time that's the problem, I always review mixes by monitoring them through real life conditions I think thats (one) of the reasons why some reviews are completely different to others :-), thank you for your findings as always. Cheers :-).
I listen through my studio setup and on a crappy phanasonics headphones at work, so both sets are involved. My pan law is 3 dB which I believe is the most common (secondary most common is about 3,5 dB). Yet it doesn't matter that much since I use my Behritone C50 A which is mono and it's a great model for common listening situations. Also you won't ask your listeners what pan law do they use won't you? Tongue

(13-04-2016, 04:17 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi mixingafterhours thank you for your detailed information, some thought!! do you listen to mixes through your studio set up or real life set up? also do any one check there panning law in the daw?it makes a huge difference, I think some time that's the problem, I always review mixes by monitoring them through real life conditions I think thats (one) of the reasons why some reviews are completely different to others :-), thank you for your findings as always. Cheers :-).

Love for music in the world devoid of feelings.
https://www.youtube.com/user/exotrio