Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had a "Good Time" with this one!
Cool song. Fun to mix. Learned some new tricks on this one. Comments?

.mp3    Louis Cressy Band - Good Time.mp3 --  (Download: 10.88 MB)

The sounds are good, but where is the second guitar? You've missed a big part of the song there. Also the toms seem to be completely disconnected from the kit. You've done a great job with the indiviudual guitar sounds for the most part and the voice is good too.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by the second guitar being missing. It's right there on my end. I was thinking I may have a phase issue when you mentioned it but I can't seem to find one. Can you elaborate?
(02-03-2016, 12:11 AM)k14studios Wrote: Cool song. Fun to mix. Learned some new tricks on this one. Comments?

Hey K14..

Few observations while listening

*Left side is busier in comparison with right side. Leaves an un pleasant after effect in your ears. I would work on your stereo balance.
*Too much Low end Causing some masking problems in the guitars.
*I believe this mix needs a bit more brightness overall.. or it could be the excess of low end making me feel like I need more brightness.

Hope this helps.

And what Mixinthecloud means I believe is the missing feeling creating a "hole" on the right side. I hear you placed 2 guitars on Left side.. but because of the low end issue It's confusing to hear the distinction between the two. I would place one of the two in the Right side.
(04-04-2016, 10:30 PM)k14studios Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by the second guitar being missing. It's right there on my end. I was thinking I may have a phase issue when you mentioned it but I can't seem to find one. Can you elaborate?

Let me see if I can explain the 'second guitar'. The first guitar line is the intro guitar which has big fat chords. When the drums come in, there is a second guitar playing a funky chop rhythm. In your mix you have that on the same side as the main guitar so in my view the 'second' guitar gets lost. I believe this second guitar line plays a very important part in the character of the song and needs to be more present. Listening to many of the other mixes of this song you will typically hear this 'second' line panned opposite the initial guitar line. This gives the song more width and establishes the great funk aspect of the song. There are four main guitar parts in this song which are layered throughout the song along with the organ. Admittedly getting all of those parts right ion the mix is not easy and there is obviously no right way or wrong way to do that. Based on the overall quality of the sounds you have produced here, I truly believe you could do better with the mixing of the guitar layers to support the character of the song.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]