Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollow Ground! (Experimenting with Mastering)
Not too happy with the tone of the guitars.. but then I'm not a guitar player so I couldn't get the particular tone I wanted.

Just messing around with Nomad Factory Plugins .

Mastered with them. Still have no clue what everyone else did to get loud volumes.. this is as loud as I could get it. :/ (with this paticular settings and plugins)

How does it sound?

Update: V2 with better guitar tone! I used Amplitube. I had it in my plugins and totally forgot. Did some setting changes in the mix and mastering. I'm sure this sounds better than the previous one. Whatcha think?

.mp3    LeftBlind-HollowGround1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)

.mp3    LeftBlind-HollowGround2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)

You need a better guitar tone for this song. It's too weak to make an impact. I know that some people call it cheating but Andy Sneaps EZmix pack has some killer tones. You will get a great guitar tone within seconds and you can spend more time on the stuff that is really important (drums, automation, vocals). Check it out for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9xleK0UzM8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpWwMFXyFGc (the amps in action)

keep up the good work,
Blitzzz

I agree with Blitzzz on the guitar tones, it sounds like an amp running through a blown speaker cab in my opinion. The rest of the mix has a raw and in your face sound especially that snare, it's cracky and hits pretty hard. If you're looking for some amp sims take a look at Lepou amps, you need to have an impulse loader like Lecab or NadIr and some impulse responces (Catharsis Fredman is my personal favorite) but you can get some cracking metal and rock tones out of those sims. Also Nick Crow lab makes a good emulation of the EVH 5150 III and the Peavey 6505 (Original 5150). Good job overall just improve the guitar tones.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
hey thanks a lot for the feedback guys ever since the upload I've been trying to get a better tone cuz I know this one sucks I'll look into the simulators you both talked about and see if I can get something thanks a lot for the feedback!!!

How is the tone now? Also I fixed a few things.
The tones are better now, more full fat and aggressive. In the breakdown I noticed some weird pumping in the guitars during the breakdown and the kick seems to be lean on low end. Reduce the compression on the guitars and add some 50-70 Hz to the kick to beef it up alittle
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(13-02-2016, 02:34 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: The tones are better now, more full fat and aggressive. In the breakdown I noticed some weird pumping in the guitars during the breakdown and the kick seems to be lean on low end. Reduce the compression on the guitars and add some 50-70 Hz to the kick to beef it up alittle

Oh crap! I was trying out different compressors and I accidentally left the two on. I was wondering why it sounded like that Lol.

Anyways fixed it, and put more punchy freq on kick and also did minor tweaks to the bass cause you know, kick and bass conflict with each other sometimes.