Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's Words--RidcullyLives Mix
Hey all! I've been lurking on these boards for quite a while and mixing, but I haven't gotten the courage/perseverance to finish a draft of a mix and post it yet...so here goes!

It's pretty quiet, I know--I don't know enough about mastering to feel comfortable doing it, so I left it in the state I'd send for mastering if this was an actual song.

I tried to play quite a bit with automation so that the song would build and diminish throughout. Would love feedback!

.mp3    Devil\'s Words_1_RLMix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.47 MB)

Checking your mix out and a few things to point out

-The drums are too far back. Turn them up because they drive this song through the whole track.
-The guitars sound great! I like the EQ, creamy and they sound comfortable to the ear.
-The bass might have unwanted lows if you turn the drums up. (I used a shelf on the low around 100hz you might consider that so the kick and bass don't fight for a place)
-I see what you mean with the voice on delays and reverb. Personally I think the delays are a bit too loud and is somewhat distracting on certain phrases.. but that's just a matter of taste, so I LIKE WHAT YOU DID THERE Smile

P.S. on my mix I replaced snare and toms with samples. A completely isolated tom sound worked better for me to get the results I wanted in my version. Is not necessary and some consider it cheating but as long as it sounds good it's always okay. I personally don't care... if the tones on drums are making my mix horrible I will replace them no matter what.

Overall you got a decent mix! is just the drums that I found not in place well. Smile)
(25-01-2016, 02:58 AM)Shul Wrote: Checking your mix out and a few things to point out

-The drums are too far back. Turn them up because they drive this song through the whole track.
-The guitars sound great! I like the EQ, creamy and they sound comfortable to the ear.
-The bass might have unwanted lows if you turn the drums up. (I used a shelf on the low around 100hz you might consider that so the kick and bass don't fight for a place)
-I see what you mean with the voice on delays and reverb. Personally I think the delays are a bit too loud and is somewhat distracting on certain phrases.. but that's just a matter of taste, so I LIKE WHAT YOU DID THERE Smile

P.S. on my mix I replaced snare and toms with samples. A completely isolated tom sound worked better for me to get the results I wanted in my version. Is not necessary and some consider it cheating but as long as it sounds good it's always okay. I personally don't care... if the tones on drums are making my mix horrible I will replace them no matter what.

Overall you got a decent mix! is just the drums that I found not in place well. Smile)

Thanks man! I was hoping the drums weren't too far back--they're that way because I had to bounce down to a drums stem at a certain point to save CPU when I had a really good drum sound. Unfortunately, for some reason the bounce was oddly quiet and I couldn't get any punch. I was honestly too lazy to go back and grab the original tracks and fix the levels again...Rolleyes...but I think I have to, don't I? Oy.

I was actually pretty happy with the bass/kick balance when it was a bit louder...had a resonant high pass filter on the bass around 100-150, so there was a bit of a boost there but the sub-100 stuff was for the kick drum. I also replaced the snare with a sample, but somehow it got fucked up in the bounce down. I also tend not to like to do sample replacement, but considering they only supplied a kick mic trigger track I don't feel too bad, lol.

P.S. Thanks on the guitars! I used this guy on the power chord guitars (http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/product.php?id=104) to give them a bit more bite, then put them through an 1176 plug with slow attack. I had a really light sidechained compressor to the kick to give it that wall of guitars pumping feeling, and a bandpassed EQ that basically cut out everything below 150 or above 10k. At the last minute I realized the whole mix was a bit hard to listen to, so I did a really subtle and broad dip of a few dB around 2k on the guitar buss to get rid of that toothpicks-in the-eardrums-feeling. I also played around with automating the panning out wider for the choruses and closer in for the verses, and changing the volume around between the various parts.