Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Left Behind (Anonymous Audio mix)
I decided to treat this as a full production. Editing, mixing, additional sounds, and other goodies. I basically gave it everything I would as if it was up to me to make production decisions as well!

additional info:Only the snare drum was sample augmented, guitars were reamped with a Line 6 POD HD, and parallel compressed the vocals with a Tonelux TX5C.

(Yes it's maximized to 'commercial level' but I am NOT a mastering engineer by any means lol.)

Take a listen and throw me some feedback!!Smile Thanks Big Grin

.mp3    Left Behind - Hollow Ground.mp3 --  (Download: 4.75 MB)

Classic hardcore combined with plastic synths and a plastic piano is the new shit? Sorry mate, I´m probably too old for this, hahaha Smile

My problem is: The raw energy and power of the original song is gone. Sick of it all or Hatebreed don't need synths, glitches, subdrops or a piano to kick ass. And from a pure mixing standpoint the synths and the piano don't sound great. They are too clean, almost artificial. Try to add a good amount of saturation and turn them down. The Vocals and guitars really shine on this song and they deserve more time in the spotlight imho.
(16-01-2016, 11:46 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Classic hardcore combined with plastic synths and a plastic piano is the new shit? Sorry mate, I´m probably too old for this, hahaha Smile

My problem is: The raw energy and power of the original song is gone. Sick of it all or Hatebreed don't need synths, glitches, subdrops or a piano to kick ass. And from a pure mixing standpoint the synths and the piano don't sound great. They are too clean, almost artificial. Try to add a good amount of saturation and turn them down. The Vocals and guitars really shine on this song and they deserve more time in the spotlight imho.

I didn't really think half of those things suited the song either but I felt like it was worth having fun with lol.

And I agree that most of the raw energy is sucked out of song with this type of production style, but with the particular "area" of hard rock and metal that I play in/work with, it's certainly becoming the norm. And most of the time clients request me to do those sort of things from the jump, so it's habitual at this point.

I can enjoy and appreciate a good raw, no BS metal tune any day of the week, no doubt. Though unfortunately I am definitely a bigger fan of the more heavily produced/tuned/quantized material. And thats probably just because of where in the genre timeline I began acquiring a taste for heavier music.

One thing I definitely think is ruining things is industry-wide pissing contest of who can squash a mix the hardest. Tongue I think a little bit of DR sounds better than a pumping bricked-out mess. But that's just me Big Grin

I do appreciate the opinions and feedback though! Every engineer and musician have different tastes. And music as a whole would become inherently bland if it was all seasoned the same.
Hey jonx

Ever heard of the band Tesseract??? Man I love their combination of synths and ambiance they use in their songs.. Its EPIC. That's one of the things that makes them unique.

For this song in particular I don't think the synths fit. However, what you did is good for the purposes of creativity. You never know what Will be the outcome if you don't practice and experiment with things.

Now the main song, I think the vocals could be a bit more upfront.

Keep working hard man!! Practice makes perfect.