Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning "Jeff" Bridges
I read the disclaimer provided at the top of the thread and took consideration for his advice.

I loaded the session and created a rough mix and listen to it several times to get a feel.

I consolidated as many tracks as I could to stereo Buss' to save on CPU and to make the session easier to manage.

I used SS VTM and VCC on all of the trks and mixed up the emulations to groups, drums, GTRs and Vox.

Neve
SSL
SSL discrete

I Summed the bass and drums together for comp for more power and cohesiveness.

I did similar Comp summing for the GTRs and VOX

I did not change the tone of the RHY GTR or main Vox.

I Printed the mix using outboard gear and plugins.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Burning Bridges.mp3 --  (Download: 8.47 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
"My curse" of KSE has a lot of bass but we can hear clearly the others intruments. Here, the bass dominate and the guitars suffocate due to this. I think you shouldn't scoop the mids like this.
I also think you overcompressed all too much.

The positive point of this mix is that the bright high ends are pleasant.
(07-01-2016, 07:43 PM)Tuyop Wrote: "My curse" of KSE has a lot of bass but we can hear clearly the others intruments. Here, the bass dominate and the guitars suffocate due to this. I think you shouldn't scoop the mids like this.
I also think you overcompressed all too much.

The positive point of this mix is that the bright high ends are pleasant.
I agree with the over compression because the mix is a little cloudy and dark. The bass being prominent is probably a result of the compression, I more than likely will not fix and continue working on new mixes and apply my these lessons to them.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
It's sounds distorted and it lacks power and movement - probably because the compressor/limiter settings on the stereo bus are to aggressive? the whole mix could be more aggressive and "in your face" - just like some other mixes on this forum that made me bang my head instantly. your mix lacks that sort of emotion/movement. try to find out what those people did and how they achieved it. you have to filter my postings to find the good ones though, I don't really remember them anymore because that was 2015 :-P

Panning is okay, but the volumes of each track are not really balanced. some things are too loud, some are to quiet.
read the comments and listen to those mixes:
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5564
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5599
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=6416
(08-01-2016, 03:55 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: It's sounds distorted and it lacks power and movement - probably because the compressor/limiter settings on the stereo bus are to aggressive? the whole mix could be more aggressive and "in your face" - just like some other mixes on this forum that made me bang my head instantly. your mix lacks that sort of emotion/movement. try to find out what those people did and how they achieved it. you have to filter my postings to find the good ones though, I don't really remember them anymore because that was 2015 :-P

Panning is okay, but the volumes of each track are not really balanced. some things are too loud, some are to quiet.

Im not sure about the volume commit but ok. As far as the rest of it goes, Im not thrilled about it either. More importantly, what's wrong with nine to five? I will apply your observations to my next mix. Cheers.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1