Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spektakulatius: Wayfaring Stranger
Thank you guys for your nice comments! I have never had such a good words for my mixes so it's like having a 'world hit' for me Wink

Now the vox is half db lower and I've also brought the sax closer in.

The vox didn't have any saturation before. Now I've added a very subtle tape saturation. I hope you like it better now! thanks again!!

.mp3    Spektakulatius - Wayfaring Stranger(3).mp3 --  (Download: 11.67 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Nice mix, juanjose1967! There's an airiness to your vocal sound I really like. The ride stick noise still distracts me a little from it, though, when the chorus hits. A little transient processing? It's a taste thing, though -- some people like the stick sounds more present.

(05-05-2015, 05:16 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Comments

Niccccceeeeee mix JJ! i can "feel" the hard work you put into this!

Quote:and advice for improvement are welcomed!

i'll flag up a couple of observations, if it helps.

you've put some distortion on her vocal? it's not so obvious in the verses, but when she belts it out, something's not right. the recording engineer wobbled a bit later on, and there's some pretty nasty distortion occurring from the oversight, all be it briefly. but i do think that whatever processing you've applied, is also making this appear a lot worse. i'm familiar with the genre, and distortion is at the wrong end of the spectrum from what we should be seeking in this vocal? the distortion also appears to be encroaching on the reverb.

now, this reverb/delay on her vocal. you have to be REALLY careful, because all the instruments have a clear ambiance in their delivery which is telling us the nature of the room in which they are performing. if you drop something over her vocal (or over the mix as a whole, for that matter) which carries the ambiance of a different space, it's going to clash - the mother-in-law won't notice it though, at least not consciously. another problem, is the timing. the delay is fighting with the musicality of the instruments, firstly because it's not correlated. i think i'd aim at taking out the delay, or at least tucking the effect right in close to the vocal so it's not directly apparent? i fully understand your logic in wishing to achieve a degree of proximity between the vocalist with the listener, and adding a pre-delay is great at achieving this illusion. unfortunately though, it's causing issues from my perspective FWIW.

i'm on the cans and the piano is skewing the mix with a bias towards the left channel on the low end. yeah, i'm being fussy on that point, eh?

you've chosen to place the piano on the left and sax to the right? this means the drums are the wrong way around for the audience.....but this brings some other opportunities for us to embrace in our mix vision. laters..

this is a mighty project and takes some courage to have a crack at. you've done a great job, especially in handling the low-end and all its RT60 hangover in the mic's. this kick certainly takes some spanking. the consequence of all those inherent delays occurring from the room's frequency response, is causing it to morph into a bit of a monster. another problem which doesn't help us in any respect, is it's fundamental of 31Hz? in the words of one John McEnroe; "You cannot be serious!"...slightly different context, but the expletive might be appropriate lol.

nice one mate.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Great mix ! Your first version without the tape saturation suits my ears better.
Actually I lke your first mix a very whole lot best Big Grin
Great job ! Sounds warm and natural.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thank you for your comments Mike, Dave and Niels!! You can't imagine how happy you are making me to feel!! :-) What started just as a hobby and a way to do something else but to watch tv at my leisure, is turning into a major part of my life and is making me study more and more about everything that involves mixing.

@Dave: I'm kind of 'obsessed lately with ambience, reverbs and delays, so your comments are giving me something else to think and to be aware of. As you know, I have no musical background so just like my mother-in-law, I've been caring little (or none!!) about instrument position.

@Niels: my favorite version is number 2, so it's no wonder that you like better NO1 Wink

Again, thank you guys!! you're the best!!
mixing since April 2013
buena mezcla la numero 2 !! coincido con Neils. un abrazo!!!
Gracias, Sergio!! un abrazo tambiƩn para ti!
mixing since April 2013
This is nice, man. Really nicely separated and I really like the forward vocal.

Overall I'd have liked a warmer tone, but that's very subjective. The saturation is nice Big Grin but Dave's correct in noting there's a bit of distortion present on the raw track... I think pinpointing the moments he's talking about and easing up on the saturator just in those places would help with that niggle.

The airiness in the vocal is indeed very nice, but the sax could maybe do with a little less air. It's not troubling me from a balance perspective or really at all, but it would be a nice contrast.

Dynamics overall are splendid. Absolutely wonderful work on the saxophone... very dynamic/emotional. I can't tell if you processed the sax or processed the instruments surrounding, but whatever you did, it's captivating and you're really staying out of the performer's way. I agree with Mike on the pointy overhead transients and used the approach he mentioned personally. It doesn't catch my attention so much on speakers, but in the cans its a little spikey. Nothing bad, but somewhat distracting for me.

My personal opinion RE: piano and sax panning: it makes sense to me to pan them as you have IMO because it matches their relative position in the overheads and tom mics. You could stereo swap the mix if you're concerned about audience perspective/drummers perspective. I personally wouldn't worry about it... having been in a band for a few years with a left handed drummer who set his kit up in reverse, it really doesn't seem like a problem to me. Lots of engineers regard the stereo positioning on the overheads as a matter of personal taste because most listeners really don't have a clear expectation in this regard, and many of them don't use the same orientation across their work. Food for thought on the matter if anyone is interested... read up on Carter Beauford's (of Dave Matthew's Band) unorthodox drum setup and playing style... then note that across their voluminous body of work, the stereo orientation of drums isn't consistently the same or even similar. Didn't stop them from selling a smackload of records though Big Grin

Anyway, I mentioned a few things, but this really is a good mix I'd listen to without complaint. The emotional delivery on the sax in particular, and the way you've worked it into the mix... great stuff, dude.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(27-05-2015, 10:30 PM)pauli Wrote: My personal opinion RE: piano and sax panning: it makes sense to me to pan them as you have IMO because it matches their relative position in the overheads and tom mics. You could stereo swap the mix if you're concerned about audience perspective/drummers perspective.

i'll cover this in my mix notes when i post my thread.

Quote:I personally wouldn't worry about it... having been in a band for a few years with a left handed drummer who set his kit up in reverse, it really doesn't seem like a problem to me.

people will generally do what suits them, but as mixers, we have an audience and listeners to think about, not simply mix according to our own personal views....views perhaps which can be based on ignorance.

Quote:Lots of engineers regard the stereo positioning on the overheads as a matter of personal taste because most listeners really don't have a clear expectation in this regard..

this is an assumption.

surely we are in the game of providing an "illusion of space". if the illusion is flawed, the mix is flawed. i know for a fact, that some mixing engineers are unable to mix drums unless they place themselves on a virtual drum stool. i don't know if it's because the engineers themselves were/are drummers of course, but i dare say it's but one factor. virtual drum kits are offered from the drummer's perspective, no doubt for this same reason. one cannot argue that it's heaps more mentally comfortable when programming virtual drums, to do so from the virtual drum stool than mixing them without trying to think the opposite. the same can be said for a real kit. and it simply ends up being printed. this has nothing to do with personal taste, and everything to do with ease and practicalities!

furthermore, with the loss of professional studios and professional mixers along with them, the ethos, and indeed the mixing etiquette, is being lost to self-taught individuals who's focus isn't on the listener so much as it is perhaps on their own artistry....and at a fundamental level of capturing the performance. many of the modern genres EDM for example, have a total and utter disregard for illusions of space, space that is, in a normal sound-stage delivery.....but create a fantasy environment where anything goes. but i hear more drum kits the wrong way around today than i've ever done in 4 decades of critical listening. and i think the demise of the professional is partly the reason for it - a disregard for "attention to detail". so long as the beats happenin' an' slammin' and there's a drum noise going down of sorts, who cares? sorry, but i do, IF THE GENRE CALLS FOR IT Wink

and this genre does.

the same ethos/etiquette exists for a piano....should the low keys be to the right or left? i bet you don't know. and i bet you don't care. but you'd care if someone EQ'd your guitar in a manner that disagreed with "your taste" and expectations; you'd be in your rights to do so, of course.

Quote:and many of them don't use the same orientation across their work. Food for thought on the matter if anyone is interested... read up on Carter Beauford's (of Dave Matthew's Band) unorthodox drum setup and playing style... then note that across their voluminous body of work, the stereo orientation of drums isn't consistently the same or even similar.

"unorthodox", you said it. one person does something totally outside the statistical norm (at the 3-sigma level) doesn't make the case for breaking norms or justifying a lack of attention to detail and ignoring what a listener's expectations are. their expectations are for norms. if we present a listener with something outside of their expectations, it will be, by default, a distraction. and as we all should know as mixers, aspiring or otherwise, ANYTHING that distracts (other than for creative reasons) is to be avoided at all costs. why? simply because it causes the listener to disengage from the delivery of the music.... and the EMOTIONAL CONNECTION gets broken and lost. it's like being in the full throws of intimacy, then the doorbell rings!

i've heard a professional debate (i wish i could quote by way of reference, but it was some time ago....i can only remember the essence and conclusion, sadly...sorry!) about left handed drummers and whether they should be mixed accordingly. going back to my point about the "illusion of space" once more, people's expectation is to hear a right handed drummer in the majority of occasions (assuming they know how a typical drum kit is set up). the debate concluded that the kit would be presented in the mix as people would expect - right handed. the conclusion was based on the fact of expectation....and a listener is less likely to know if the drummer is left handed.

i have no idea what Carter does with his kit, but i'd bet my pension that his hat is to his left and the floor tom to his right...unless he's a left hooker. simply finding the one event out of 1000 that doesn't fit statistical norms (3-sigma, in a normal frequency distribution curve) to support one's argument, isn't appropriate i'd suggest. we all know people who lived to be over 100 years of age and smoked, but this doesn't mean we should all smoke if we want to live to be 100.

Quote:Didn't stop them from selling a smackload of records though Big Grin

and neither did it stop people buying crappy distorted music in lossy format....and being victims of the Loudness War. money talks, that's the bottom line perhaps. and so long as unprofessional mixing engineers can produce drums the wrong way round and sell enough product while being oblivious to the fact that some of their more educated and informed listeners are irritated by their lack of concern, then it will get worse. doing things wrong i.e. PRESENTING AN INCORRECT ILLUSION OF SPACE, becomes a standard of acceptance....wrong becomes the norm.....just like the loudness war.

i will mix my kit the right way round and not have any listeners distracted by that. you will mix them how they come....and disregard those listeners who will be distracted. it's your choice, but i don't understand your disregard for a [more informed] listener's needs. that's REALLY bad marketing! it's also disrespectful, i'd tentatively suggest.

Quote:... is a [good] mix I'd listen to without complaint.

and that's where we differ; it's a question of standards perhaps.

at a fundamental level, the illusion of space, as it's presented herein, is incorrect for some of the reasons i've touched upon in my earlier post. i'm being distracted because of it....the space isn't correct, and neither is the arrangement of the musician's equipment. we should all be aware by now, that if ANYTHING in a mix is a distraction, it will detract from the listener's ability to engage with the music. it matters here because of the genre, and importantly, because the band was seeking a more natural ambiance. this mix, with the choice of reverbs and ambiance and the illusion of sound stage as presented, isn't giving me the correct subjective image. indeed, i find it ambiguous and disconcerting. but my ears and brain have been around rather a long time than a lot of forum participants and it's formed my Terms of Reference.

at the techinical level, JJ has done a marvellous job and i wouldn't want this discussion to take those achievements away from him. but at the subjective level, regarding my interpretation of space and it's presentation, there's a problem and EVERYONE, there are no exceptions, have overlooked this herein and within their own mixes.

most here, if not all, are musicians (let's ignore the definitions of "musician") and bring with them their own "instrumental bias" to the mixing process. those who are drummers will want to mix their kit as they see it - from the drummer's stool. people who have their instrument bias in the direction of an acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, upright, sax, flute, violin or woteva, won't give a damn about the drum kit......

........and herein perhaps lies the root of the problem?
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Disclaimer: I respect your opinion wholeheartedly, and respectfully disagree. For the benefit of discussion, I'll attempt to explain why. Please don't infer a combative tone.

You've in the past suggested I overthink mixing, and I agree, but this seems like a very overthought thing to get hung up on.

I dunno if "correct" stereo spread creates a very convincing illusion of space anyway, though. I can't discern a neatly organized stereo spread on a live drum kit, even if I'm up fairly close, because sound doesn't present itself neatly from left to right. There's no stereo field outside the DAW...

I'm not really trying to argue... But if you read Mike's notes on the recording session, you'll find he recorded the kit from drummers perspective as an intentional artistic decision. I'd be hard pressed to call that wrong, and I'm unconvinced most people, lacking your extensive background in production, would notice or care... Especially considering the kit is rather understated compared to the vocal and sax, which I imagine would occupy the full attention of most listeners.

I realize the audiophile crowd often has a certain set of expectations, but projecting that minority view onto everyone else doesn't make it right or wrong?

Just my opinion, obviously... Anyone is welcome to their own of course. Btw, Carter sets his kit up with the ride cymbal and crash "incorrectly" due to the needs of his particular performance style.... But it's shown up in both orientations on various records that have enjoyed widespread popularity for over 20 years... What's "wrong" with that? After all, we're mixing for the audience and not for ourselves.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!