Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Viviendo Del Revez (not a walk in the park) CEF
(28-06-2018, 12:39 PM)Monk Wrote: Your synths are missing, but you are fairly right about the guitars. They bring rhythm, but melodically what is their contribution? Finding space in the cloud of acoustic sustains and resonances, the synths can bring some nice emotion to the concept (as I imagine it in my head, that is!).

We both need to find the balance instrumentally, maybe you've gone the other way to me but it feels a little too much perhaps.

There's occasional guitar harshness from wayward harmonics that could do with touching up, but to do that it will require making space otherwise they will mask out. Maybe revise the use of reverbs in order to minimise congestion. The downmix in mono shows how things can quickly get washed out and lose definition and focus. The listening room converts stereo to mono outside the sweet spot, so it's a good reason to keep an ear out for mono issues. Don't forget the room also adds further delays and ambiance to what you have added (RT60) which can be over 0.5 seconds!

I'd bring the electric guitar at 2m forwards for more drama for the conclusion, though it will necessitate a review of the levels of everything else me thinks, to find space for this.

There's a big presence boost when he leans in on the mic that you might want to fix. A good example is the intro at 0m16s

What can we do with the overheads, any ideas?

Thanks for the observations Monk.

The synths are there. Some of them had no melodic impact. The back bone of my mix is the acoustic guitar and the bass.. The groove of the bass is what made the song interesting to me and the rythm drive of the guitars is what keeps the rest of the synths in place in my opinion.
Having said that the status which contribute to the melody are present but in the context of "fill". The vocals for me are very important in this song and boosting some synths up create conflict with the voice.

Have not gone detailed in mono. My experience is not at the level where I can manipulate the stereo field to make the mono mix sound as great. My fault here as I didn't even bother checked a mono mix reference. Oops.

I get the impression you think I mix in studio monitors. My room is not fit for studio monitors plus I live in apartments so I mix 100% on headphones.

There are many things in this mix that can benefit from a lot of automation including the deep low end of vocals and some dynamics here and there but I don't have the time to go into detail with automation.. At least not at the moment but on my revised version will deal with more details.

Again thanks for the observations, some points are well noted. Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Viviendo Del Revez (not a walk in the park) CEF - by Shul - 28-06-2018, 07:45 PM