Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cross Roads (looking for review)
Hey everyone,

been quite a while since I mixed anything, so I am hoping I did not do too badly. Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Lukas Big Grin

.mp3    TheCrossRoads_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.49 MB)

Sounds great to me. I like the clarity on everything. The bass texture is very great perceived at least on my headphones.
The only think I have to be picky about is those toms. They are poking out too much in comparison with the rest of the drums balance. Especially the right side.
Vocals works very well too. It's clean sounding and the guitars blend really well with their volume.
Side note which is just taste for me. Kick is too clicky on ocasions. Doesn't take away anything from the overall mix though.

Overall a great mix in my opinion. good work.
I agree with Shul, it is a very good mix to me.
Just curious how did you achieve that great base sound, Deep but not muddy. Samples or re-amp or other Smile

Cheers
Louis
You don't know, what you don't know.......
(03-05-2024, 07:00 AM)L.Mix Wrote: I agree with Shul, it is a very good mix to me.
Just curious how did you achieve that great base sound, Deep but not muddy.  Samples or re-amp or other  Smile

Cheers
Louis
Hey Louis,

thank you for the kind words.

The bass group (Bass Amp + Bass DI) had some EQ, a small bump at 100 Hz and a small cut at 180 Hz both just 2-3 db. I wanted to get more energy in the low-low end and less of it in the 200Hz range where the snare and guitars needed some space. The biggest eq move ist at 900Hz were I boosted 9db, this is probably what makes it cut through the mix well. This is followed by an LA2A style comp plugin doing ~4-6db of gain reduction.

I have balanced the DI a bit lower than the Amp, but placed a saturator plugin on the DI track doing somewhat intense "tape" and "tube" saturation.

I have attached an audio example, no fx is first then with fx added Smile

Cheers,
Lukas

.mp3    bass_example.mp3 --  (Download: 586.94 KB)

Thank you Lukas
You don't know, what you don't know.......