Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks: This project was put together on a Roland VS2480 multitracker (using the uncompressed 24-bit/44.1kHz recording mode) and a handful of samplers. As such, a couple of the tracks already have printed-in effects.
    • The drums are provided as a stereo submix of kick, snare, hat, stereo tambourine, and vinyl noise, and there's a further track of stereo cymbal swells.
    • There are three mono bass parts: the main synth bass; an additional brassy synth bass; and a sampled pizzicato cellos/basses ensemble.
    • Other MIDI parts include: a muted guitar; mellotron flutes; a spooky high lead during the second verse; a church organ during the middle-section; a synth pad during the outro choruses; the Variphrased violin-ensemble hook during the choruses; and harp (with effects).
    • In addition to a lead vocal (with double-track), there's a Variphrased kiddie-style vocal during the middle section and four stereo tracks of submixed (but dry) backing vocals
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face:
    • The submixed drums make it tricky to control one instrument without impacting on another.
    • The second verse and chorus are in a much lower key than the others, so some EQ and balance settings may not apply as well there as to the rest of the song.
    • The raw string tracks are quite abrasive.
    • Some of the synth and sample parts are quite noisy, and the kiddie vocal has a vinyl-crackle effect printed with it.
    • The vocal was compressed quite heavily during recording and is quite sibilant. All the vocals also have slightly exaggerated plosives.
    • Some of the backing-vocal lines are mixed together, so you may not be able to balance everything that you want to independently.
  • Some Mixing Tips:
    • If you want more control over the drums, I'd suggest chopping them up.
    • I think the strings can afford to be quite dull, given the retro 'Somewhere Over THe Rainbow' references, so don't be afraid of swingeing HF cuts there.
    • I'd mult out the second verse and chorus on at least the kick, bass, strings, and vocal parts, so that I could balance them appropriately for the different register.
    • Quite a lot of the parts are mono, so some widening effects may be desirable to spread those out -- the pizzicato bass and mellotron would be my first targets.

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.
Hey!

Thank's for this incredible song!!!

What mic is used for the voice? The sound is incredibly clear!!!

I love the sound that you gave to the tracks

Romain
(26-03-2017, 11:09 AM)Teneus Wrote: Thank's for this incredible song!!!

Thanks! Smile Glad you like it.

Quote:What mic is used for the voice? The sound is incredibly clear!!!

It's an MXL V77S (a cheap first-generation Chinese OEM valve mic that's since been discontinued, I think) with about 10dB of 12kHz shelving boost from a Dbx 376 voice channel. It's a funny mic, actually, but just happened to suit my voice when I did a bit of a shootout.