Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 2-Cent
I tried my best with this multitrack. After reading the Mix-Rescue of "Facade" I felt prepared for phasing-problems which seemed quite easy to fix - at least to my ears.

One thing I was trying while I worked on this mix was something I discussed with a friend lately: mixing with low volumes (peaks reaching about -12dbfs on the masterchanel). For me it resulted in a lot less processing than I usually use which sped up the mixing.

Any hints for optimizing are very much appreciated.

.mp3    PennieM1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.46 MB)

hi i feel that the guitars are too loud that makes the vocal and the drums be too in if you take 3-4 db it will be beter
it will not mask all the parts.
I will try this out. Thank you.
Here is a second version. The guitars are not that upfront anymore (reduced volume and some high frequencies) and I finally got rid of the ringing kick. I've tried so many things and totally forgot about a simple gate Blush

.mp3    PennieM2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.46 MB)

hi know that i can listen all the way to the end its better Smile
the bh are to dry and all the mix dont glue to much you need to work with reverb or delay more.
Thank you. Finding the right levels for reverbs and delays is quite challenging for me. But I have to confess that I like a drier mix most of the time. I'm not quite sure where to draw the line between personal taste and established standard. (And I still have to work on my room treatment... Confused)

Anyway, I've started reading the chapter about reverb in Mike's book again and try to work it out.
Just realised you posted a new version since I downloaded version one. Oh well -- here's some feedback for version one, and I'll post some view on version two tomorrow.

This is an interesting take on this multitrack -- more stripped-back and punkier. It's a bold move putting that much 3-4kHz into the pre-chorus guitar sounds, and while I think I can connect with the reasoning there, I think it's putting the whole mix a bit off-balance at the moment. For example, it makes the arrival of the chorus feel a bit soft by comparison (although that section is by no means shy of 3-4kHz either), which seems to kind of reverse the pre-chorus/chorus dynamics for me. Perhaps opening up the choruses with more bass and a few delays would make more sense of it for me, but that's only one idea. (Speaking of delays, though, I do like the lead-vocal delay effect.)

The brightness of those guitars also does throw the comparative dullness of the drum tonality into relief as well, which probably isn't ideal, because it puts the drummer a long way behind the rest of the band psychologically. Overall, the low end also feels rather light to me (which might be a monitoring issue), and I'd give it at least 3dB below about 200Hz myself.

Your LCR panning scheme contributes to the general 'alternative' vibe, which makes sense, and it's great to have that clear separation for the outro section from 3:21 -- it's fun to hear all the (comparatively) unvarnished details of all the parts there. This section is definitely the highlight of the mix from my standpoint -- and the drum sound really works well within that context, despite my concerns with it elsewhere.

Enjoyed listening to that -- a fresh viewpoint and lots of food for thought. Thanks!
Thank you for the feedback, Mike. I guess you are right when it comes to the monitoring situation. It is far away from good and I will have to work on the room.

I will have another look at the low frequencies and the dynamics between pre-chorus and chorus. Longterm dynamics is a topic I definitly have to work on.

I am courious what you have to say about the second mix.

And to all reading/listening to my mixes: Would you mind if I post a third take in a few days?
(29-06-2012, 03:04 PM)Artbass Wrote: And to all reading/listening to my mixes: Would you mind if I post a third take in a few days?

Fine my me! Cool

Overall I prefer the second-version balance considerably over the previous mix, and I like that it's clearer and more open-sounding than the preview mix too. The guitars make much more sense overall now, although the loss of brightness then gives the mix a slightly dull tonality overall. A general 'smile' EQ curve across the whole mix would probably be sensible -- I was able to do a good job of this with Variety Of Sound's new Baxter EQ. Even with that, though, I think I'd still try to get some more HF and midrange sustain out of the snare, which is coming across as a bit muffled still, relatively speaking. The guitar texture during the choruses still feels like it needs thickening here too, from a long-term dynamics perspective, although it already works a lot better now than it did.

I wonder whether you might want to make the vocals a little smaller-sounding, though, because they feel like they're undermining the implied power of the backing at the moment. It's a tricky line to tread, this, though -- you want enough vocal to get the song across, but not so much that the backing sounds small. Shaving a little off the low midrange on the vocal can help square that particular circle.

The main thing I'm missing other than that, though, is a sense of size for the choruses in particular -- a hint of reverb space. Not anything with a tail, just something to suggest some wider environment. Maybe just a touch more slapback if you want to keep it raw? I reckon the production as a whole might benefit from a bit more in the way of blend effects too (short reverbs/delays and maybe some subtle widening/modulation), especially during the more stripped-back sections, particularly at the end. You don't want anything that's really 'heard' as such, but just something to glue everything together -- you should only be able to hear it's there when you switch it off! Smile