Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of children of no-one
Still working on this mix but just wanted to make sure i am on a good road. The only way for me to learn and get better is to hear the truth so be honest good/bad/and ugly? Thanks!!!

.mp3    BILL CHUDZIAK 2-25-13.mp3 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.11 MB)

Hiya.
It could just be the mp3 conversion but the track sounds really distorted.

Lots of power in this track though!

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
that is peakng to bits,the vocals sound odd too
takka, if i may ... could your critics be a little more constructive ? Smile
(13-03-2013, 07:13 AM)Xabix Wrote: takka, if i may ... could your critics be a little more constructive?

To elaborate a little: it's not that we don't want your honest opinion, because we do. It's just that a bit of extra detail about what makes the vocal sound odd here will probably help Big Mikes Studio to improve his work more effectively, so it'd be great if you could provide a bit more info there. Cool
I'd agree with the previous posters -- you've really scorched the mix somehow. I can't see the levels, but it sounds like digital clipping, which rarely sounds any good when pushed this far. (Unless you're a band called Sleigh Bells. Smile) The lead vocal seems to have an independent distortion on it too, but similarly gritty. If you want a fuzzy vocal sound as a statement, then I'd suggest something more like an emulated tube plug-in or a parallel-channel amp simulator.

Other than that, though, the balance seems pretty respectable. I'd probably give the kick more level, though, because its currently out-gunned by the snare. Maybe a bit more guitar too, because it seems as if the band's power is maybe relying a bit too much on the bass.
Sorry but i was so distorted i thought something might have gone wrong during uploading or bouncing or something.
I think Mikes advice has been more constructive for him.
At the end of the day at least i do comment and told him the mix was peaking,most will just say nothing at all.
Hi again
Sorry for not adding any further info in my original post, Big Mike. I thought I'd wait to see if you uploaded another less distorted version and I'd get a better crack at listening then.

On the basis of this version, I thought that the balance was really good, there's a lot of power in the track and I hope I can get a mix somewhere in this ballpark!

It is hard to accurately translate what I'm hearing in terms of balance here in the office using my headphones as I have to make allowances for the bass enhancement of closed-back headphones and interpret how it would present itself when played through speakers....I have to do that a bit as the office is the only chance I get to listen to streaming audio - our internet is almost non-existent out where we live.

But maybe the bass is a tad too high in volume, as I find it hard to hear the kick throughout the song. Having said that, I love big bass! Smile
Maybe try complementary EQ to add a bit of thump to the kick and scoop out the same frequency from the bass to let the kick through.

Apart from the digital distortion, I think you have a pretty solid mix going.

Nice job!

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Yeah, Death Magnetic sounds quite easy on the ears compared to this Big Grin

Also the reason why the vocals sound little weird is the fact that the sample rate seem to be wrong (44.1kHz files imported into a 48kHz session without conversion).

What I can make of it, I'm guessing there might be a polarity issue with the kick drum (phase cancellation eating low end away), I'd start my investigation from there.

After those are addressed we should be able to see how far this mix can take this song.