Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Fool [mixed by DaveDaG]
Lot of fun mixing this tune
Feedbacks are welcome
Smile
d

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Fool [mixed by DaveDaG].mp3 --  (Download: 7.92 MB)

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Fool [mixed by DaveDaG] V2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.8 MB)

Hey Dave! good overall mix! Just pay attention with the Hum/noise on the intro.
(06-04-2015, 09:02 PM)teste Wrote: Hey Dave! good overall mix! Just pay attention with the Hum/noise on the intro.

Ops, that's right, thank Teste
I'll clean it in the next revision
(now I feel the kick a tad muddy also)
Cool one Dave! I find the bass a bit too bulky at the moment.
It distorts on smaller speakers and feels a bit too much anyway even on my monitors. I'd watch that and cut some of that meat.
As you said, the kick is perhaps a bit muddy and also the toms are huge, so I wonder if some multiband applied to the low end could not bring these under control...
Oh and you didn't play with the eyebrows, I'm disappointed... Wink
Apart from that pretty nice. Good job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(06-04-2015, 10:47 PM)ptalbot Wrote: Cool one Dave! I find the bass a bit too bulky at the moment.
It distorts on smaller speakers and feels a bit too much anyway even on my monitors. I'd watch that and cut some of that meat.
As you said, the kick is perhaps a bit muddy and also the toms are huge, so I wonder if some multiband applied to the low end could not bring these under control...
Oh and you didn't play with the eyebrows, I'm disappointed... Wink
Apart from that pretty nice. Good job! Smile

I'm agree, ready to do my homeworks soon
Thanks Patrick Wink
I attached 2nd version to the first post
Lot of small changes
Hum... I'm sorry to say that I don't think it's an improvement overall, Dave. Sad
The bass is less offensive, the toms are much more reasonable, the kick is fine but...
It sounds like the whole mix has been recorded on a worn out half inch tape, there's a lot of flutter/wow all along, this is sounding rather weird.
My guess is that you've used a tape emulation on your master bus and went a bit overboard or used a preset that adds quite a lot flutter/wow, it's not really enhancing the recording, it's really damaging on headphones in particular.
Moreover you've pushed the de-esser on this version, the previous was already quite heavy handed but on this one I have a therious cathe of a lipthe! Wink
"I'm a thool I'm thinging the bluethe" is what I'm hearing...
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(21-04-2015, 05:24 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Hum... I'm sorry to say that I don't think it's an improvement overall, Dave. Sad
The bass is less offensive, the toms are much more reasonable, the kick is fine but...
It sounds like the whole mix has been recorded on a worn out half inch tape, there's a lot of flutter/wow all along, this is sounding rather weird.
My guess is that you've used a tape emulation on your master bus and went a bit overboard or used a preset that adds quite a lot flutter/wow, it's not really enhancing the recording, it's really damaging on headphones in particular.
Moreover you've pushed the de-esser on this version, the previous was already quite heavy handed but on this one I have a therious cathe of a lipthe! Wink
"I'm a thool I'm thinging the bluethe" is what I'm hearing...

Thank Patrick, very usefull as always
I didn't use any tape emulation on the master bus and/or wow&flutter plugin, but what is important to me is that you listen that kind of fx and you find it unpleasant.
I think it could be a side effect of the side enhancement that hits too much on rhodes and solo guitar (those are originally stereo and strongly chorus effected themself)
I do a lot of experimentation here on Cambridge-mt mixes (I'm not a preset guy) and your feedback is really precious
I'm not afraid to sound weird, but it has to be pleasant also
Thanks
d
Good that you are experimenting! That's what this place is about IMHO.
And don't worry about trying to please me... I'm just telling you what I like or don't and what I hear.
Nothing forces you to agree and/or even act upon it.
If you like the sound of something that I find weird, it might be just taste related.

Some air moved here