Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howlin'
Still revisiting songs I've mixed previously to learn my monitors. Gave some feedback on this tune recently so I thought I'd give it a go.

.mp3    Howlin New Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.26 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Good sound on the Piano. Great baseline, although it sits quite high in the mix (question there on the chorus vocal level as a consequence). The guitar fills brought out in various places sounded great. I like the more sparse arrangement (omitting many of the SFX tracks). Noted the subtle delay fx through the song. Vocals perhaps could use a touch more reverb or ambience - but purely a person opinion there.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Hey Jeff, thanks Smile I'd forgotten I posted this. This was a pretty quick mix... seems to me I barely processed at all because everything sits together pretty well without much help. EQ was mostly low cuts and high cuts, with a few peaks and valleys here and there. Compression is mostly on the stereo buss and group channels with a few compressors on individual channels more for sound-shaping than anything else.

For this song it makes a lot of sense to think from a console mindset and submix all the groups down to stereo tracks before trying to get control of the mix as a whole... at least for me. Trying to balance all those tracks against each other would put me in the nuthouse Big Grin But once everything is mixed down, it really comes together without much trouble.

What have you been mixing these days?
The kick is very flabby, transient designer would help.
The bass is really thick too and masking the kick a bit.
Get the bottom end more tight and solid it would sound loads better imo.
Also that noise that sounds like a beeb type thing is really loud and just
sounds odd,bin it I would.
Yeah, you're right about the loose bottom. That's not something I heard when mixing it for the second time. The kick and bass are wanting a multiband I think.

Just a quick look at the session shows the mix buss compressors release time is really screwing with the kick, which isn't surprising.

That's the one thing about sub mixing, sometimes you get tunnel vision and lose the big picture.