Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boogiesnakes - It's My Right - mixed by mick2015
Always fun to mix a cool blues tune. Enjoyed the guitar solo, had some really nice Robben Ford tones and flavours happening there.
Feedback and comments most welcome. Cheers guys.

Mick

.mp3    Boogie Snakes - It\'s My Right - MIX002 MASTERED MN.mp3 --  (Download: 9.82 MB)

Hi Mick I like your version of this cool song ,I like the snappy snare and punchy kick ,the beater click is popping out a touch listening on headphones and laptop speakers but cuts through well on small speakers,I'm thinking while listening how some parallel compressed drums mixed very soft in the background would sound it's all just a matter of taste.
Good Job.

Cheers Big Grin
Thanks for your feedback! Your individual sounds are very high quality. Very "scientific" and accurate. I'd add some short overall ambience to soften things a bit. I personally liked the guitars mixed a bit bigger as you know. There's isn't anything wrong with the track, but the sound starts to feel a bit "lifeless" and "artificially engineered" towards the ending. You also have good punch on your master. If I'd have to make a guess, you've mixed this with a clean master channel, and reached for that high energy punch and impact of a mastered record on individual track level in the mixing phase. This has lead to killing the subtle details and "air" of the overall sound. You clearly have the skills and ears, so you could easily start mixing straight against at least a master limiter with relatively low threshold, as this tends lead less processing on individual tracks and preserving the subtle details of the sound when reaching for that punch and energy. But this is just pure speculation, so if I'm completely wrong then never mind. Smile
(02-04-2015, 02:15 PM)thedon Wrote: Hi Mick I like your version of this cool song ,I like the snappy snare and punchy kick ,the beater click is popping out a touch listening on headphones and laptop speakers but cuts through well on small speakers,I'm thinking while listening how some parallel compressed drums mixed very soft in the background would sound it's all just a matter of taste.
Good Job.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don! I appreciate you taking the time to listen Smile

(03-04-2015, 02:56 AM)kapu Wrote: Thanks for your feedback! Your individual sounds are very high quality. Very "scientific" and accurate. I'd add some short overall ambience to soften things a bit. I personally liked the guitars mixed a bit bigger as you know. There's isn't anything wrong with the track, but the sound starts to feel a bit "lifeless" and "artificially engineered" towards the ending. You also have good punch on your master. If I'd have to make a guess, you've mixed this with a clean master channel, and reached for that high energy punch and impact of a mastered record on individual track level in the mixing phase. This has lead to killing the subtle details and "air" of the overall sound. You clearly have the skills and ears, so you could easily start mixing straight against at least a master limiter with relatively low threshold, as this tends lead less processing on individual tracks and preserving the subtle details of the sound when reaching for that punch and energy. But this is just pure speculation, so if I'm completely wrong then never mind. Smile

Thanks kapu, appreciate your feedback. I really tried to focus on dynamic range and keeping it punchy. You're probably right about the overall "air" and in retrospect the track may benefit from even a broader reverb on the total mix. In regards to the master, I actually put an L3 Multi on the end of it (mostly for volume). I really enjoy using the L3, to me it always seems to get the job done! Cheers.