Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speak Softly: 'Broken Man' -WBurris Mix, first post.
Newer Mix Below!! First mix was terrible....

Hello everyone. I just found this website while searching for some mixes to practice on, very excited to see a community that does this.

Here is my first attempt at this mix. The downside is that I mixed this on Bose in ears.... I do have a set of Yamaha HS8's at home, but didn't get a chance to run the mix through them yet, so you may or may not hear alot of low end that these Bose didn't pick up.

Some info... I used the Waves Scheps 73, CLA-2A (Waves as well), some iZotope plugs, and basically did some parallel compression during a small mastering phase.

Song still seems a little too bright and hard on the ears during high vocal moments.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated!

This is an awesome song, props to the artists!

WBurris
Again, quite a lot of going on from 217Hz to 293Hz@-24dB, in some parts just on 217Hz. Hissing in range from 6.5 to 9.8kHz. Tempo seems altered, might be linked to heavy hall like reverb effect on drums, or just an unobjective impression.
(01-04-2015, 04:48 PM)sysrq Wrote: Again, quite a lot of going on from 217Hz to 293Hz@-24dB, in some parts just on 217Hz. Hissing in range from 6.5 to 9.8kHz. Tempo seems altered, might be linked to heavy hall like reverb effect on drums, or just an unobjective impression.

I completely agree. I was banging my head a little as to why the 6k and up was killing my ears... I had an FX channel reverb that was attached to some of the drum samples that was causing the hiss... high hat reverb....

Tempo is set at track tempo, that I am aware of, haven't messed with that at all. Maybe the reverb like you mentioned.

I remixed and found a mix I like alot better, but still could use some critiquing. I don't like the vocal loss in the beginning and few other parts... if only I had an 1176 to parallel compress with.... Thanks for you response.

-WB

.mp3    Broken Man-WBurris Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.45 MB)

Now it sounds quite warm and consistent. Good for first try. How did you made annoyingly recorded background vocals sit in the mix.
Originality is always good.
(02-04-2015, 11:47 AM)sysrq Wrote: Now it sounds quite warm and consistent. Good for first try. How did you made annoyingly recorded background vocals sit in the mix.
Originality is always good.

Glad you liked it better.. thanks!

I was not a fan of the background vocals at all... but I did want to fit them in the mix to get some depth. Basically I panned one L44 and the other R44. I used a little reverb on each along with the vocal compression and eq. I parallel compressed the lead vox and kept both of those channels center so she would sit on top of the mix better.

After that I basically glued the master out with some compression. I also used an additional widener from an izotope plug that helped as well. I guess if you didn't buy izotope you could probably use like UpStereo to help the widening.

-WB