Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homebound - Olli H
I wanted to test some M/S-mixing techinques, and this song was just suitable for that. I tried to make the overall feel more focused when listening this song with headphones.

.mp3    15-03-27-homebound-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 4.14 MB)

I think it sounds pretty well, Olli! I believe that you're applying a M/S EQ to the banjos. The lows are more centered than the highs. I think you applied the right EQ and separation because I can hear it and at the same time, they are close together so it gives an impression of some good friends playing together not far from each other.

Only one thing came to my mind. At 1.13 more or less, the banjos sound a little bit boxy, don't they?
mixing since April 2013
nice mix Ollie I like the warm fullness/body in the lower end
Thanks for listening
I used MS Eq on both tracks.
Yes, banjo sounds a little boxy. On the other hand, to me banjo sounds always a little weird: very strong attack, and no sustain. Sometimes it's very efficient intstrument, but most of the time I don't like it.
I generally like it too, but I think you could get just a touch more presence from the banjo. Also, do i hear your voc distorting when the singers are harmonizing? Cool mix overall!

Draper
Head over to the artists page. Original files are ms. Nice mix.
Sounds good to me on speakers, Olli!
Yeah, bullocks to what I said in my earlier post. Solid mix Olli.