Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boogiesnakes - Olli H
Somehow I couldn't make it. Something is still missing, but I can't fiqure out how to fix it.
Maybe the bass is culprit. It was too difficult to make it sound the way I would have wanted it.

.mp3    15-03-27-boogiesnake-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 9.72 MB)

Hi, Olli! I like your mix a lot. At least technically I couldn't hear anything to be improved. But I can tell you that I think the mix lacks warmth. I don't know because I haven't tried this one yet, but I would try to change the vox delay EQ so it can sound a little bit warmer and thus, making the whole sound sound less cold. I was also thinking about making the guitars warmer at the part that starts at 0:47 but that wouldn't affect the whole song and only a short part of it.

mixing since April 2013
(27-03-2015, 01:29 PM)Olli H Wrote: Somehow I couldn't make it. Something is still missing, but I can't fiqure out how to fix it.
Maybe the bass is culprit. It was too difficult to make it sound the way I would have wanted it.
Sounds pretty good to me Olli I like your mix.
The vocal effect is a personal thing, maybe a toucher longer delay or just a touch lower.
I also had the same thoughts mixing this and also think it maybe the bass but not sure how to fix it yetBig Grin.

Hi, I think there are some overall spectral problems with sound, not so much with the actual mix. The mix is very good. To my ears there's a bit too much stuff in the 400-500 Hz area, and a ton of phase cancellation in the high and air frequency area. Too wide panning of overheads? Maybe too radical M/S EQing on the master? Anyway, quick fix would be to cut the highs with a very gentle slope filter from side channel of the master. In general, too much "wide" high frequency content tends to lead into this kind of sound. Basically, everything is ok, but then again, it's not. Smile
Thanks for the comments, fellows.
@kapu Good ears you got. I had too much widening in overheads, and also other room tests. I was experimenting too much, and it turned out to be slightly sterilized sound. And I guess it was just that that was bothering me. Blues needs to smell bad. I'll make a new version soon, this time no soap nor shower.
I tried to add some dirt and attitude to this. Something's ok, something is not. Maybe deep inside I'm just too sterile person to be able to create authentic dirt.

It's time for the next song...

.mp3    15-03-31-boogiesnake-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 9.72 MB)

Hi, it's more grittier, but I think there are still some problems with the frequency spectrum. To my ears there's still some build up at 500 hZ, and now a lot of ringing or "whistling" at 3 kHz, on the drums mostly. I made a quick AB-comparison with a cuts at 500 and 3k. They are quite big cuts and mess up the phase and take off the edge from guitars, but I think you can get the idea. Or if it just sounds worse to your ears, then never mind. Smile

.m4a    olliboogie.m4a --  (Download: 1.73 MB)

I like your first attempt !
I dont think the grit and dirt suits the song. Could it be the phase issues happen in mastering ?
Maybe upload an unmastered version of mix 1. I think the mix is great ! And the tone of lead guitar - YAH - what didi you do to it ?
Good work, except for the "too loud for NielsĀ“ears and phase issues hi freq."
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Man, I think I'm getting the hang of this and then I read a thread like this and realize that there are a whole mess of tools and techniques I haven't even begun to understand yet!

Yeah, I agree with a bit too much ring in the drums. Since I don't particularly like a ringy snare, I tend to hone in on that 500 hz tone, set a high Q, and push it way down (and also take more of the bottom snare mic than the top snare.) I'm learning through repeated experiences how to use compression to help tame that too. (Long attack, long release, low threshold, high ratio to try to adjust the sustain to taste.)

The solo guitar is a bit too far in the background. Maybe trim the predelay on that a bit to bring it back to the front of the stage?
Old West Audio
Your first mix sounds much better to me than the other ones. It has a rough rehearsal room feel, but an innocent first-time listener might assume that this was a desired effect.

I personally would like it to be a little tighter and less wet though, because this is funk music. Your effects treatment sounds more like classic rock to me.

The frequency balance needs a little more work, especially the lower mids.