Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avalon: 'All I Know' Flymix
here is my mix, hope you like.

Mixed in a box with Studio One by Presonus, waves plugins.

Any input??

From Argentina

Sergio

.mp3    All i know.mp3 --  (Download: 9.97 MB)

Wow! Very good job!
Yes great job on this mix. I think this may be the second one of your mixes that i like. It made me feel something instantly and i wish all your mixes were loud like this Big Grin But hey that's just my personal taste...i like things loud.. but a good loud. Keep up the mixing!
Well, I tend to like Flymixes so.. Smile

I think this one ended up being a bit too echoey and as a result of your limiter (presumably) ended up losing a lot of air as well. Doesn't feel open enough to me.
Old West Audio
the vibe fits the song and the balance is good.

it lacks some low mids for me. The bass synth energy is lacking in this mix. and this song is pretty much about that pulsing synth bass.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
(23-03-2015, 07:29 PM)flyrecords Wrote: Any input??

hi Sergio, how's life?

this mix should have come with a loudness warning.....you nearly blew my speakers up and ears along with them! lol. dude, loud mixes get turned down, and after a short time they end up not being played again - it's a proven fact. this is banging around at -9.8 LUFS so it might sound impressive to the uninitiated ("loud is perceived better"), but once it's been turned down at least 4LU's it's going to sound rubbish against a more dynamic mix at -14LUFS. read up on the iTunes "Sound check", because this will blow you away and any clients who insist on mixes being loud. the loudness war is over mate (at least it is up here!) Big Grin

you need to get some decent monitors so you can work the low end better (something with a good time-domain!). there's a lot of surplus fat wobbling around which is pushing the VU meter.....we've got lots of volts but it's not bringing anything with it so you're sucking energy out of the mix. consumer speakers will then fail at delivering the mid range. i note that your mid-range is pretty cranked up which might be a consequence of your monitoring situation? you've a lot of this bass banging around in the stereo field too, helping to add to the boom. keep bass mono.

if you re-work the low-end, then the rest of the spectrum will need to be adjusted accordingly to keep the mix in balance. i'd anticipate the trebles will come out more, and so too the mid-range as candidates for reduction afterwards. it could also offer opportunities to make certain instruments a little warmer, too.

i'd have found automation and a wider loudness range (LRA....EBU R128 refers) more entertaining to listen to. as it is, the song has no level changes making it monotonous on the ear. give me variation, work the dynamics. it doesn't help that you're Master Buss is too hot and flattening dynamics. it makes the song fatiguing for my ears....very fatiguing.

"All I know, won't count for much tomorrow" looping for a full minute suggested some opportunities for shortening a monotonous arrangement?

if you fixed the technical, objective aspects and the last "personal taste" point above, the mix for me would become subjectively super. fundamentally there's some good things going on here Sergio. there's some interesting creative decisions too. well done.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!