Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lookout Moutain - BJohn mix
Good song, very talented band. Well recorded except . . . they need a better microphone for the lead vocal. I tried to make the lead vocals sound as good as I could. Comments appreciated.
Thanks, John

.mp3    Lookout Mountain.mp3 --  (Download: 12.11 MB)

(23-03-2015, 07:33 AM)BigJohn Wrote: Good song, very talented band. Well recorded except . . . they need a better microphone for the lead vocal. I tried to make the lead vocals sound as good as I could. Comments appreciated.
Thanks, John

Hi John, overall to my ears there's too much of the wrong type of compression on everything bar the acoustics. It sounds slammed with peak compression (with the obvious being the snare - the rim shot is louder than the stick hit) when the style would suit a softer touch. Try hitting the compressors a lot less.
mixingonamission,

Thanks so much for your analysis. Yeah, I suppose that I did use too much compression. I'll try to fix most of it one of these evenings and see how that goes.
I uploaded a new mix with changes based on mixingonamission's insight. Hope that there is a noticeable improvement.
As always, comments on what needs improvement, and what is ok, are appreciated.

Also changed EQ on vocal. Uploaded files sound quite different than when in the DAW.

.mp3    Lookout Mountain_f.mp3 --  (Download: 12.11 MB)