Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long Wait 'Lookout Mountain'
A quickish mock-up of this track, I found this a tricky one for warmth and depth in the low mid range due to wanting a clear ac gtr tone. Some piano chords or an organ might be good for the arr. to fill it out a bit.

.mp3    The long wait - Lookout Mountain.mp3 --  (Download: 12.15 MB)

realised i hadn't engaged my mix buss EQ, so for those interested the mix above is extra warm and this is my preferred clearer mix.

.mp3    The long wait - Lookout Mountain.mp3 --  (Download: 11.96 MB)

Had a listen to 2nd version

Overall there's a lot to like. Its nice and punchy (helped by the fact that you've delivered a mix with lovely dynamic range so kudos for that too) and I really like how you've handled the OH's. The vox and guitar sound great as well.

However that is also the problem too.......as I'm not sure you can have both sounding good all the time. At the moment its pretty fatiguing listening to the mix all the way through as you have the bright acugtr, plus the vox and snare all competing in that 2-5Khz region - throw in the OH's during "Driving through the Rockies" and it gets a bit much.

The other problem with such a bright acugtr is that it takes center stage away from the vocal.....not helped by the big mono panning i,e, it sounds like you've panned both acugtr mic 1's left and both mic 2's right (or vice versa) so we have both guitars effectively down the middle - so you end up with a lot of brightness down the middle all competing with each other.

The net result is that your vox and acugtr are competing spatially (down the middle) and occupying similar frequencies

Guitar solo is also a tad loud

cheers