Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Fool - mixed by mick2015
Another cool, cruisy blues/jazz flavoured tune from Patrick. Fun to mix once again and the lyrics made me chuckle. Feedback and comments most welcome.

Cheers,
Mike

.mp3    P Talbot - Fool Full - MIX003 MASTERED MN.mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)

Hey Mike, cool mix! Smile
Glad you like the song and that it made you chuckle, that was the idea!

Only a few nitpicks:
- I think the rhodes would benefit from some grit or modulation, it's a bit too bland right now.
- the drums sound very dry, perhaps using a little bit more of the room mic or creating your own ambience with a little bit of reverb would make them sound better?
- the LV sound a little muffled, perhaps it's a matter of cutting a little bit of mud and adding some air to it.
- You didn't play with the eyebrows (see my notes in the sticky post), a lost opportunity to have fun, I think!

Other than these little things, sounds pretty good to me! Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks Pat, appreciate the feedback! Smile
Hi Pat,

Here's another mix that I've completed with a slightly different approach. Interested to hear your feedback.

Cheers,
Mick

.m4a    Fool 1644 AAC MASTER.m4a --  (Download: 6.42 MB)

It's punchier but I think you have too much compression on the drums. The snare and kick are really smacking hard ATM, making the drums a bit overbearing.
Actually, I think there's too much compression limiting overall, I would ease up on the limiter on the master bus, I feel the mix being rather congested and there's some audible pumping going on. A stylistic choice perhaps, but I think it's choking your mix.
Apart from that the tones and levels sound nice to me. Good job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks Pat. The compression was a stylistic choice, however in retrospect it probably is a bit over-cooked. I think I'll have another go and tweak a couple of those elements. Glad you liked the overall tone and levels.