Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - 'Set Me Free'
Here's my mix of this song by Patrick Talbot. I'm starting to become a huge fan of his work, since I'm really enjoying each one of his compositions Smile

As always, advice and comments are welcomed.

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free.mp3 --  (Download: 10.88 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Hey Juan Jose, glad you like the tunes and are becoming a fan! Smile
Not a bad mix all in all, but a few things got my attention:
- the loop during the verse is possibly a bit loud
- the LCR style... honestly I don't think it's ever really justified unless the sources have been done to accommodate it from the beginning (meaning having various instruments balancing the left with the right)... this is not the case here, so the mix doesn't sound the best to me on headphones.
- the horns being mono-ized and playing on the left only, they are cruelly lacking punch and presence. I would keep them stereo and put a compressor, perhaps a parallel compressor, possibly even spread them in stereo with some gentle stereo widening.
The rest sounds fine to me but I think if you forget the LCR panning and use the stereo spectrum fully (especially for the horns) it will sound better.
Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
You were absolutely right. In fact, when I first posted the mix, I was thinking that it might be too strange to hear such hard left and right separation between instruments. Sometimes I leave those "little experiments" to see if someone notice them too just to check out if I'm on the right track or not. If nobody says anything, that means that it's alright. Big Grin

Anyway, I've fixed all the points you mentioned and I hope you like the mix better now. Keep up the good work, Patrick!!

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free(2).mp3 --  (Download: 10.88 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Sounds better Juan Jose! Smile
I think the horns still sound a bit far away, I would try to bring them closer.
And the snare is rather loud, it seems louder than your previous mix somehow.
That's all I have to say, otherwise, cool mix. You keep up the good work too! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here