Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixdown, Pro Tools
Hi!

I did a Mixdown in Pro Tools, using the Pro Tools Plugins as well as some Waves stuff. I did some automation of volumes to put attention to some guitar-fills and to set the levels right in some parts.
My intention was mainly to get the basic sound right, as a kind of rough mix.
The next Step would be to correct the timing (bass vs drums in some parts do not work well. Also, one electric guitar in the chorus is always too early) and to work on different sounds for chorus and verse(s)...
Thanks for listening,
Chris

.mp3    Back home to blue 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.47 MB)

(16-03-2015, 05:43 PM)Chris V Wrote: Hi!

I did a Mixdown in Pro Tools, using the Pro Tools Plugins as well as some Waves stuff. I did some automation of volumes to put attention to some guitar-fills and to set the levels right in some parts.
My intention was mainly to get the basic sound right, as a kind of rough mix.
The next Step would be to correct the timing (bass vs drums in some parts do not work well. Also, one electric guitar in the chorus is always too early) and to work on different sounds for chorus and verse(s)...
Thanks for listening,
Chris

I like the warmth Chris, it's a really good starting point imo
I feel the mid low a tad heavy (but do not trust me too much 'cause I often lack in mid low freq)
Midlows could mask higher frequencies and guitars seem too low in volume sometimes
about that guitar on chorus part, before to edit the timing, try to tweak with the compressor, it seems compressed with high ratio, slow attack e medium release, try to smooth the attack with a faster attack and a lower ratio, make it raise up progressively. It's incredible how compressors could shape the timing perception
Last thing, you could try to high pass the backvocals a bit 'cause they seems more ahead then the lead voc
Just my 2 cents
How did you get backvocals and drums to sound that good ? This band has good songs but I had trouble mixing them because of poorly recorded instruments (drums in particular).
(17-03-2015, 07:08 PM)Obelix Wrote: How did you get backvocals and drums to sound that good ? This band has good songs but I had trouble mixing them because of poorly recorded instruments (drums in particular).

Hi!
Thanks very much!
I am sorry for the late reply ...

The drums: noc special treatment. EQ and Compressors (Pro Tools Compressor) on the single Instruments, also a combination of doubler, room, short plate, long plate - the amount varies from channel to channel.
The Drum Bus has a Waves C6 Multiband Compressor on it. And Waves Center is adding 2dB to the Side Channels.

The Backing vocals also have per channel: EQ on them (I like the fabfilter Pro Q2 2 very much!!), Pro Tools Compressor and in this case a Waves Kramer PIE Compressor. Room and Short Plate. I EQed the Backing Vocals to be warm and fresh, but to leave room in the mids for the Lead Vocal.

Thanks again, hope the answer is still of any use. Best regards!
Christian