Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My version of this mix
Hi there this is my try for this song, any comments are
appreciated. Thanks.

.mp3    Knock out JR Mix V3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.73 MB)

You've got for quite a mainstream chart-centric sound, which makes sense, and you've got the vocals coming across really strongly on the small speaker, which is all good. The balancing and effects are pretty respectable, but I wonder whether you could do more to head off masking between the parts, because the mix feels a bit flat in the depth-dimension and it's not that easy to pick out details like the piano. In particularly, it feels like there's some frequency pile-up at both 3kHz and 12kHz, which makes this a tiring listen from the perspective of pure sonics.

The main issue, though, is the bass, which isn't really delivering yet, I don't think. Even in chart hip-hop I kind of expect more low end to the kick drum, especially if it's independent of the bass line. I think that the powerful fundamental of the bass line is maybe making this less easy to hear, so I'd try listening to the mix without that in there for a while. It just feels like it's missing some important 60-80Hz thump -- it's not a bad sound in its own right (quite punchy, actually), but it's just not yet really carrying the low end of the track for me.
Hello Mike and thanks for taking the time to listen, i will try to make another version of the mix with the changes you suggested. Thanks again and congratulations on this site wich i think is a great tool for learning.
Hi there , this is the second version of this mix, i hope i fixed
the things Mike noticed in the previous version. Thanks alot.
Cheers

.mp3    Knock Out Jr Mix v 2.0.mp3 --  (Download: 10.22 MB)

(28-02-2013, 09:04 PM)jorger Wrote: Hi there , this is the second version of this mix, i hope i fixed
Cheers

Hi there,

Listened to mix a I agree with Mike that the kick is fundamental in this genre and in this song. I heard both your versions and there is more kick in the second version but in my opinion you need to boost even further down, like 60-80 hertz to get that "boom" in the chest. Be gentle though, some heavier compression in these regions are recommended so that the kick dosen´t overwhelms rest of the track.

Cheers,

/Marcus
(06-03-2013, 08:41 PM)Jamolir Wrote:
(28-02-2013, 09:04 PM)jorger Wrote: Hi there , this is the second version of this mix, i hope i fixed
Cheers

Hi there,

Listened to mix a I agree with Mike that the kick is fundamental in this genre and in this song. I heard both your versions and there is more kick in the second version but in my opinion you need to boost even further down, like 60-80 hertz to get that "boom" in the chest. Be gentle though, some heavier compression in these regions are recommended so that the kick dosen´t overwhelms rest of the track.

Cheers,

/Marcus

Hi Marcus, thanks for the advice, im gonna try to make another
version with more bottom end sometime soon.
Cheers and thanks again.

Jorge
Hi! I listened to your mix and i think it sound pretty good. I really like your delay/reverb on the vocals tracks. I also love the overall balance of your mix. At 1:15 I think the fill could be a bit more louder. And my last concern is the same as jamolit for the Kick Drum missing low end. Keep it up!

Sorry for my english

dom418
(09-04-2013, 12:34 AM)dom418 Wrote: Hi! I listened to your mix and i think it sound pretty good. I really like your delay/reverb on the vocals tracks. I also love the overall balance of your mix. At 1:15 I think the fill could be a bit more louder. And my last concern is the same as jamolit for the Kick Drum missing low end. Keep it up!

Sorry for my english

dom418

Hi there thanks a lot for listening, im glad you enjoyed the mix, if i make another version of this mix i will try to fix the low end as you mentioned. Thanks again and keep the good work!!