Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Broken Man
My go at the mix !

.mp3    Broken Man.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

There's some nice emotion you've delivered in this version. I wonder whether the vocal and main snare/clap sound might be a bit harsh at 3.5kHz or so, and the vocal tone also feels a touch over-inflated in the low mids. It feels big as a result, but I reckon there's a happier medium to be had.

Love the sudden jump to the right at the end, and also the rhythm break at 1:30. There's some creative effects use here, which is quite ear-catching -- the little Haas/comb-filtering delay stuff is something you don't often hear, but I rather like it here.

The bass seems quite well judged, and fits in with the piano pretty well too. In general I like the choice you've made to give the piano a really nice full sound.
Thanks for listening to my mix, Mike. I appreciate all the feedback. I had a go at correcting the things you pointed out.

.mp3    Broken Man 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

Seems a silly remark but I think the tambourine (2n chorus) sounds awesome! As does the rest of the mix, I think. It sounds lush! Like it very much. The the lead vocal (without backings) sounds too bathroomy for my taste. But overall I get a good vibe, and that I feel is what mixing is about! Great mix!

Note: The end is a bit abrupt - no trail.
- You can't have everything in life. Where would you put it? -
(26-02-2013, 09:09 PM)plasticsoul Wrote: Seems a silly remark but I think the tambourine (2n chorus) sounds awesome! As does the rest of the mix, I think. It sounds lush! Like it very much. The the lead vocal (without backings) sounds too bathroomy for my taste. But overall I get a good vibe, and that I feel is what mixing is about! Great mix!

Note: The end is a bit abrupt - no trail.

Thanks for your comments on my mix.
Great mix, i love the sound and feeling in it. Maybe give the lead vocal a db or two. (listening to you mix nr2)
(02-03-2013, 06:41 PM)SixString Wrote: Great mix, i love the sound and feeling in it. Maybe give the lead vocal a db or two. (listening to you mix nr2)

Thanks for your comments. Yeah I made some EQ cuts on the vocals and never corrected the volume correctly. The verse vocals do need a little more volume.