Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fool - HB Mix
Here's my mix

(10-03-2015, 01:45 PM)ptalbot Wrote: About the reference mix - I don't think it's too bad. I've done it more than a year ago and since then I've learned a lot more tricks, but the song comes across OK I think.................It shouldn't be too difficult to do better than this one in terms of overall sound and balance.

I don't know Patrick.....I reckon the reference mix is pretty good and matching it is tricky enough!

4 riffs - Smoke on the water, Europa, Satisfaction, Stairway. I'm sure most people got these but I haven't checked

.mp3    Fool_HB Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

Well Simon, it sounds like you did pretty well there! Smile

I find it pretty close TBH, and I quite like the delays under the lead vocal, nicely ducking under it to be coming back just when they can.
And good eyebrows as well! Wink
BTW, you got 4/4 on the riffs, they are pretty obvious but since they are played in a different harmonic context not many have caught them.

Only things that I've noted is:
1/ the keys could get a little bit dirtier, actually if I had to remix this one, I would probably add some saturation to them, I think they would sound better
2/ the bgvs sounded a bit loud to me on first listen, on second listen I got used to it so I'm not sure it's relevant...
3/ IIRC I've added a good dose of tape saturation + slate VCC on these tracks and on my mix bus, I haven't A/B-ed your track but I think it's a little "colder" (if that means anything!) so perhaps adding a bit of global saturation would make it sound more cohesive.

Anyway, these are just nitpicks, all in all a great job again! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(11-03-2015, 05:51 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Only things that I've noted is:
1/ the keys could get a little bit dirtier, actually if I had to remix this one, I would probably add some saturation to them, I think they would sound better
2/ the bgvs sounded a bit loud to me on first listen, on second listen I got used to it so I'm not sure it's relevant...
3/ IIRC I've added a good dose of tape saturation + slate VCC on these tracks and on my mix bus, I haven't A/B-ed your track but I think it's a little "colder" (if that means anything!) so perhaps adding a bit of global saturation would make it sound more cohesive.

Anyway, these are just nitpicks, all in all a great job again! Smile

Thanks Pat, glad you liked it. Have made the following changes to ver 1.1

1. Bit more crunch to Rhodes - fairly subtle but noticeable on opening chords
2. reduce bgv level...I meant to adjust before posting ver1.0 but forgotBlush
3. Have increased global saturation - again very subtle

cheers

.mp3    Fool_HB Mix_01.1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

Sounds good Simon! Smile
But now I notice (and it was there before actually, sorry that I didn't react in time) that the vocal has a bad case of the lisp... I think you went a bit overboard with the de-esser there.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I didn't even notice......My new headphones are so smooth I didn't catch that.

new version, mix_1.2 - de-esser calmed down a bit

.mp3    Fool_HB Mix_01.2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

Ah! Thank you, I feel better with my teeth back! Wink

Some air moved here