Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PatrickTalbot_Blue
Here's my version.For any criticism will be grateful.

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_Blue.mp3 --  (Download: 5.19 MB)

Not bad Alexander! Smile
I think the guitar is a bit low, and the vocals too loud. The vocal could use some de-essing as well.
I like the phaser you put on the rhodes/vibra, although I think this make them much too big, they are masking the guitar/bass and drums. They are too loud and take probably too much stereo and frequency space...
The result is that we end up with a wash of rhodes and vocals on top and the rest is very low and quite missing.
During the chorus I'm especially missing the guitar arpeggio and the bass, both (with the vocals of course) are really driving this part, and without them it's a bit bland TBH.
Good first attempt but I would revise the levels and make sure that the rhodes and vibraphone are not eating all the stereo space.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(27-02-2015, 06:00 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Not bad Alexander! Smile
I think the guitar is a bit low, and the vocals too loud. The vocal could use some de-essing as well.
I like the phaser you put on the rhodes/vibra, although I think this make them much too big, they are masking the guitar/bass and drums. They are too loud and take probably too much stereo and frequency space...
The result is that we end up with a wash of rhodes and vocals on top and the rest is very low and quite missing.
During the chorus I'm especially missing the guitar arpeggio and the bass, both (with the vocals of course) are really driving this part, and without them it's a bit bland TBH.
Good first attempt but I would revise the levels and make sure that the rhodes and vibraphone are not eating all the stereo space.
Hey Patrick! How do you like this mix?

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_Blue2+.mp3 --  (Download: 5.2 MB)

I think this is getting better but now the thing that dominates the mix in an overbearing way is the bass, it's way louder than the vocals and pretty much everything else. I think you should start your mix with a proper balance and then apply any processing that might be needed to render each part distinct and feature what needs to be featured. It seems that you've skipped that part in your mix and jump straight to processing, which might be why you're having level issues on both these mixes.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(05-03-2015, 04:22 AM)ptalbot Wrote: I think this is getting better but now the thing that dominates the mix in an overbearing way is the bass, it's way louder than the vocals and pretty much everything else. I think you should start your mix with a proper balance and then apply any processing that might be needed to render each part distinct and feature what needs to be featured. It seems that you've skipped that part in your mix and jump straight to processing, which might be why you're having level issues on both these mixes.
Hi Patrick!
I think this mix you like

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_Blue3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.19 MB)

The bass is better although I hear some resonance in it that creates a rumble in the low end.
The Rhodes/toy piano have also too much reverb and this makes for a wash of sound.
It is better and you're heading in the right direction, but I think there's still work to be done to achieve some clarity in your mix.
Keep it up! Smile

Some air moved here
(06-03-2015, 02:48 AM)ptalbot Wrote: The bass is better although I hear some resonance in it that creates a rumble in the low end.
The Rhodes/toy piano have also too much reverb and this makes for a wash of sound.
It is better and you're heading in the right direction, but I think there's still work to be done to achieve some clarity in your mix.
Keep it up! Smile
Hi Patrick!
I hope that this variant of the previous cleaner

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_Blue4.mp3 --  (Download: 5.2 MB)

Sounds better but I think the bass could be just a little lower (in levels).
The rhodes is still quite washed, perhaps it's a bit too loud as well, and lowering its level would work better if you want to use it as a sort of pad sound.

Some air moved here